Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to make this a long story, and interrupt yalls beer time for too long. I love this forum, everyone on here is so helpful. I am still new here, but i look up to most all of you! So much information and experience compiled in one place. Its unreal, thanks for the opportunities to learn!

I live in Central North Carolina, you know the place where if there is even a slight threat that we are getting any sort of wintery precipitation everyone freaks out and all schools close.

Well, last Monday I was informed that i had to salt all night long after logging all day. Thats cool. Apparently we get subcontracted to do winter work, thats all fun and games. Here is the kicker, i have to wire the salter up to my truck. Whatever, if im going to be spending 24 hours straight in a vehicle its kind of nice to be in yours right? Well i salted all night long, till around 11am Tuesday morning. I had a pallet and a half of salt (~3700lbs) in the bed, running about 72mph on the highway (2wd no need for 4wd with all that weight). On the way to my next destination (I had a coworker driving for me since i was just a tad sleepy) then BOOOOOOM!!! I swore i had just lost a rod. I was assured it definitely was not that when the Transfer case shifter hit the ceiling and a 6" deep dent was put in the floorboard. Lost breaks, power steering, all of my transmission fluid, the motor in about 20seconds. My Front driveshaft Ujoint on the transfer case side decided to explode. allowing my driveshaft to beat the everliving crap out of everything in its way. Tranny and Transfer case are cracked. Prndl switch is destroyed. fuel lines and break lines are pounded flat. So, i guess now its time to overhaul right? :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Oh yeah.... if you look, the tow truck couldn't pick me up of the ground..... at one point his front tires were 2 feet off the ground. It was quite the sight. Look closely

Im thinking Garmon Tranny, Twins or a large single, Building my bottom end, studs, injectors, swapping over to EFI live, and who knows what else i can think of?

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
So wait, what happened to the engine? You lost the engine, trans, and transfer case all at once?

That, my friend, is impressive!

Sucks for the carnage, that's a bummer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So wait, what happened to the engine? You lost the engine, trans, and transfer case all at once?

That, my friend, is impressive!

Sucks for the carnage, that's a bummer.

Well it got both of the fuel lines, but the motor made some funky sounds about a second after the first Bang. It wasnt sputtering, almost like it was missing.

·
3,998 Posts
Im just looking at it as an opportunity to rebuild better than ever! gotta keep that head up right?
the world is your oyster my friend! No point in gettin pissed about it. The company you work for didnt have anything to offer up since it blew on company time during a 24 hour shift?!

Reactions: N of 60

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the world is your oyster my friend! No point in gettin pissed about it. The company you work for didnt have anything to offer up since it blew on company time during a 24 hour shift?!
The company mechanic was actually driving my truck when it exploded. It was my choice to take it out, i was given the option of my truck, or a ranger danger. which in my opinion is no option! Funny thing is i just checked the front driveshaft and inspected the u-joint everything was cherry! full use of the shop, tools, and not ing at the mess is more than i can ask for! Researching turbo combinations right now! going to call around about building the transmission tomorrow! Im ready!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope that your boss does the right thing and pays for the repair ( at least enough to bring it back to stock )
He gave me a raise, and allowed me to keep the truck in the shop for as long as i need.:party018::party018:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd do what it takes to get the engine fired up to check it over. I personally don't see how all of this could have done anything to it.
Ive been having problems with it for a minute. Im pulling it out tomorrow since this wonderful weather is keeping me out of work.

·
3,998 Posts
man with that attitude I wish you were here in texas........I'd happily stop by the shop and help you where I could to get her on the road. Worlds running out of positive people, keep it up!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
man with that attitude I wish you were here in texas........I'd happily stop by the shop and help you where I could to get her on the road. Worlds running out of positive people, keep it up!!!
only so much you can do right? Thanks man, there are not many people willing to help on something that does not involve them in some way anymore.

Reactions: honestcharlie56

·
Registered
775 Posts
i cant say that im exactly jealous of your situation but i will say i learned a ton and enjoyed every bit of my engine/tranny removal rebuild and install....keep ur head up!! the first coulpe drives after its done are the best!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i cant say that im exactly jealous of your situation but i will say i learned a ton and enjoyed every bit of my engine/tranny removal rebuild and install....keep ur head up!! the first coulpe drives after its done are the best!!!
Thanks man! I appreciate it!

Anyone have any recommendations on turbos? Ive always been a fan of Garrett

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Totally dependent on what your power goal/usage is.
I was deeply considering the 700-800 range. I tow heavy, (20,000lb bumper pull) and I run it hard. mind you im on 37's so that doesnt help me currently. I love the concept of BB and im not afraid to keep the truck down and spend the money. I can do all the work myself.

·
World Champs!!!
24,232 Posts
Hit up Pat at Big Twin Diesel and/or Nathan at MPI; both are located in Idaho but are well versed in Garretts and can get you set up with what you want.

·
Registered
358 Posts
wow.... on one hand I feel bad for you.....on the other hand I'm strangely impressed by all that! moderation is for cowards right?!?

P.S next time it gets towed tell that operator to slide the bed up BEFORE he lowers it! front wheels off the ground= rookie mistake!

Reactions: MaineInline6
1 - 20 of 20 Posts