Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Where's my sparkplugs????
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of clutch would best suite me? I don't pull trailors too often, I work in the oilfield and put a lot of highway miles on my truck and would like something that can take me past level 1 on my programmer without slipping like it does. I have to pretty much act soon because I can't even drive my truck and get out of it without smelling my clutch due to this merciless Texas summer, programmer and all my driving. I'm hitting you guys up because I could call or contact any clutch company and obviously they're going to tell me that their clutches hung the moon. Any kind of suggestions biased or not would help me make my decision for I have the green flag from my wife to go through with this. :thumbsup

· Registered
1,062 Posts
I just ordered a Southbend DD 3250 clutch. It should be here in a couple days and I will try to put it in this weekend. If I can't get it in this weekend then I have to wait a month until I have access to a shop again since I am on the road with work.

I got talked into that one because while i do a lot of pulling trailers, I don't really drag race or sled pull and the guys told me that if I didn't need the billet flywheel then I shouldn't spend the extra money on it. That meant that when it is time to service the clutch that I can just have a local shop surface the flywheel rather than having to send everything back to the factory for refurbishing.

I do know that with the better south bend and valairs that you can send your clutch plates back and have the pads replaced after it is worn rather than buy new stuff every time. At least that is what I was told.

I have an 07 5.9 too with 25k on it and my clutch has been slipping for about 3 months so I am ready for the change.

Hope this helps. I tried to call both manufacturers and I had much better luck getting in touch with the company that I bought from. Just my experience.

1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my clutch is the same way! As soon as I can afford I'm going to install a Valair 3400 DD! It would be great to use more then 1/4 of my fuel pedal.
I know the feeling, trust me! I'll look into Valair.

1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats the difference between a SD and a DD? Does it make shifting harder and would I need a hydrolic peice? I hear people talking about them but don't know exactly what they are.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
single disk vs double disk. The stock one is a single disk and they can only hold so much before they start to get jerky and grabby. the double disk can be made stronger because it has two friction plates and an additional steel in between them. I got the smaller double disk and it is rated for 550hp+ and is still supposed to be able to have smooth engagement for towing.

I have been told by everyone that the G56 needs the hydraulic upgrade always when you upgrade the clutch. I went ahead and got it but I haven't installed yet. Mine should be here in the next day or two. Call Peter at Southbend or Dan at Valair and see what they recommend for your application. I wanted to do it 1 time so I went ahead and stepped up to dual disk. I didn't want to have to keep upgrading a clutch when I got more power.

· Registered
463 Posts
I just had a SBC DD 3600 put in my truck last week. I've been driving it all over to get used to it... Yes it is a firm pedal but doesn't seem jerky or grabby. It is slower rowing through the gears though.

1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just had a SBC DD 3600 put in my truck last week. I've been driving it all over to get used to it... Yes it is a firm pedal but doesn't seem jerky or grabby. It is slower rowing through the gears though.
Last week eh? Gratz on that, I'm jelous! I was looking for a clutch that didn't change my shifting but talking to you and some other people at work it looks like it's something I'm going to have to deal with.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
I was told that the 3250 southbend doesn't add a lot of pedal pressure to the setup when you do the hydraulic upgrade. The difference is that te 3250 is still a diaphram type and lifts uniformly whereas the 3600 and higher are lever types that have to build more leverage and thus more pedal pressure.

I will know more in a few days when mine is installed but that is what I have been told.

· Registered
463 Posts
Was a pricy setup but so far I'm happy.. It's a little noisy but with my 5in exhaust it's hard to tell.. Reverse takes a little more effort to get in also.

I looked at the 3250 but I plan to do a few sled pulls and figured I'd rather play it safe..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.