Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my truck for about 2 years now and just started shaking between 50-60 although I can see the wheel start shaking lightly from side to side around 40 and sometimes as I’m slowing down I can feel it too almost like a warped brake rotor but I don’t feel it in brake pedal ever
. I’ve read about death wobble but this isn’t bad enough to leave brown stains in my seat.
It has 3” level with 5100’s and a dodge off road steering bracket and tie rod ends. I recently put new tires (same brand and size as before 35x12.5-17)
About a week ago I started to notice a slight shake and saw my front passenger tire had some chop in treads. I thought that was the issue and moved to RD side but the shake/wobble was still present and slightly worse. I balanced out all tire pressures and the shake is still there.
I checked track bar and noticed there is some play (1/8”), at the bracket bushing.
Had it at a shop and they said I have about 5-6mm play in my ball joints and wanted $1200 to replace all 4 and align.

Question is would this just happen out of no where because it’s what seemed to have happen?
The tire tread chop has me baffled bc that’s usually shock related but shocks have about 30k miles on them. If a tire weight fell off would that cause chop?
I haven’t done an alignment in 30k miles should I start there?
Are the BJ’s shot with that amount of play?

Just hesitant to throw $1200 at that’s and it not fix the issue and figured I’d reach out to my fellow Ram fam.

·
Registered
14,843 Posts
The typical causes for a back and forth shimming steering wheel is bad tires, bent wheels, bad alignment, warped brakes, and/or a combination of loose steering/suspension components along with any of those said items.

One thing to understand is that things just dont get all wiggly under there unless there's something not moving correctly. Meaning, loose suspension/steering joints wont cause a shimmy unless there's something making them move which turns into an excessive movement. Make sense? :thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.