Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes you need to do that to shut off PWM from the fogs. They may work but you are causing the LED voltage regulator to work overtime.

If you use the wires from morimoto you don't need to trim anything. The slots in the connector prevent folks from plugging things in backwards. i.e. + -> - and - -> +

You don't need a splitter just a wire.
No i dont think your right there. Since the connector only has a tab to lock it on one side. The piece is in the middle. It is in the way if you line the connector up to lock it. With regards to polarity the connector comes unpinned from morimoto so its deff no for preventing polarity mix up since you could easily do that yourself by putting the wires in the wrong side.

Maybe you guys are talking about morimoto bulbs and nott the full fog light assemblies? ive installed couple of these and seen bunch more installed. Always required either use the splitter harness with the resistors (direct plug and play) or no splitter harness and Trim the middle of the connector then use alfaOBD to turn on LED mode so you don't get a bulb out warning.

Morimoto even list the splitter harness with the resistors as part of the package when you buy them? Not sure how you guys are getting them without the harness.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Must be a Morimoto thing based on what they are shipping - My factory female connection (from the truck) that went into the 9145 bulb in the factory fog housing, would not plug in unless I trimmed that tab on the Morimoto connector, which @RichardCalvin shows on his pics

Here is back of the Morimoto housing, I had to trim the tab on the connector, since I have AlfaOBD I did not need splitters or resistors and the plug on the new fog housings plugged into my factory fog lamp plugs once I made the modification

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,223 Posts
no trimming neccesary, and no resistor packs supplied or used on this truck

(2018)

Or this truck (2012)

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
With regards to polarity the connector comes unpinned from morimoto so its deff no for preventing polarity mix up since you could easily do that yourself by putting the wires in the wrong side.

Maybe you guys are talking about morimoto bulbs and nott the full fog light assemblies?

Morimoto even list the splitter harness with the resistors as part of the package when you buy them? Not sure how you guys are getting them without the harness.
Mine came with everything assembled, so no real possibility to wire it wrong. Just plugged them in.

In both cases they were indeed the full fog light assemblies.

When buying from TRS, there's an optional in-line resistor. No splitter as I recall.
So as mentioned, I got one pair with the boxes, and one without. And it all plugs right in, with or without the resistors.

Sounds like TRS provides the correct connector, Morimoto does not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine came with everything assembled, so no real possibility to wire it wrong. Just plugged them in.

In both cases they were indeed the full fog light assemblies.

When buying from TRS, there's an optional in-line resistor. No splitter as I recall.
So as mentioned, I got one pair with the boxes, and one without. And it all plugs right in, with or without the resistors.

Sounds like TRS provides the correct connector, Morimoto does not.
weird they must have had different production runs of them with changes. All ones ive seen done have been in the past year.

Morimoto and TRS are the same company BTW.

·
5,223 Posts
One of the housings in my 18 was purchased a couple months ago. Again, no tab modifications were needed. the other one was several years ago. (one got damaged and needed replaced, TRS was nice enough to sell one housing as opposed to making me buy an entire new kit)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
No i dont think your right there. Since the connector only has a tab to lock it on one side. The piece is in the middle. It is in the way if you line the connector up to lock it. With regards to polarity the connector comes unpinned from morimoto so its deff no for preventing polarity mix up since you could easily do that yourself by putting the wires in the wrong side.
I dont know what you got. But I do know what I got and the slots are to prevent swapped polarity.

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
I dont think they are the same company. TRS is the distributor of Morimoto products.
I don't think so, either, but TRS and Headlight Revolution sure seems to be related.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just go back through the morimoto headlight treads on ramforum. They are the same company. Morimoto is TRS in house brand.

Also they are not for polarity. The wires come unpinned. You attach the connector.

Anyways, enough of this arguing over absolutely trivial stuff.

·
5,223 Posts

Don't you know, that is what the internet and forums are entirely about. Aint no way of not arguing about trivial things online

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Just go back through the morimoto headlight treads on ramforum. They are the same company. Morimoto is TRS in house brand.

Also they are not for polarity. The wires come unpinned. You attach the connector.

You don't need a resistor to make LED fogs work just set fogs to LED in alfa.

I don't know what the current draw is on those XBs. But I do know that the fog lights have current protection and will shut off around 4 amps.

And they are unpinned because? Looking for the explanation that morimoto gives you in the installation instructions.

I think morimoto got lazy here they used a connector without the groove and made you pin them to get the polarity correct. The ungrooved connector works across multiple lines of bulbs. the removed the polarity protection from the connector.

strange. Ram calls for 9006 fog light plug. Weird your's came built with a 9145 plug. Ive seen the morimoto fog light assemblies installed in couple trucks and always needed to trim them to use them without the harness. The fogs have the tab in them and thats why the won't plug in. Unless morimoto varied there manufacturing for a few units and shipped some with slightly different plug on them.
Depend on the year of truck some came with 9145 low beam and H11 for fogs some came with 9006 for fogs. Mine is a 2015 came with H11 fogs.

looking at those connectors on the XBs there doesnt look to be any groove. They have a female connection with no grove. The truck has a male connector with the groove. So what are you trimming?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
When you go into AlfaOBD are you seeing and / or clearing error codes (if so what are they)?
No error codes. Nor in Alfa nor from the trucks dashboard.

It turned out I had a faulty wire.
Unfortunately the whole wire harness needed to be repaired.

All good now.

Thanks for all the hints.

Mike

·
5,223 Posts
No error codes. Nor in Alfa nor from the trucks dashboard.

It turned out I had a faulty wire.
Unfortunately the whole wire harness needed to be repaired.

All good now.

Thanks for all the hints.

Mike
Glad you got it fixed, i feel like you got forgotten in this thread. At least you didn't end up having to deal with a groove you didn't want :stirpot:>:)

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Glad you got it fixed, i feel like you got forgotten in this thread. At least you didn't end up having to deal with a groove you didn't want :stirpot:>:)
Haha - no groove fixing here :D

Running the OEM fogs now with yellow LED’s.
This setup is now also growing on me :stirpot:

Mike

·
5,223 Posts
Haha - no groove fixing here :D

Running the OEM fogs now with yellow LED’s.
This setup is now also growing on me :stirpot:

Mike
Be mindful of your beam pattern, fogs serve a very distinctive purpose, and just having a bright light in them isn't it. At one point i put in way over powered lights in my fogs, until i stood in front of my truck at night, i then imediately took them out. Beam pattern is very important, which is one of the reasons i love the Moriomoto Projector fogs, they serve their job amazingly well, without producing excess light that is dangerous to other drivers on the road. And we can get the real light experts around here to explain how having to much light in the wrong places can actually damage your night vision and reduce your field of vision while creating a false sense of security but bathing everything in light. I'm not one of them, but they are floating around. Every light has a purpose, and should be upgraded or modified to improve that singular purpose, without hampering anything else.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Be mindful of your beam pattern, fogs serve a very distinctive purpose, and just having a bright light in them isn't it. At one point i put in way over powered lights in my fogs, until i stood in front of my truck at night, i then imediately took them out. Beam pattern is very important, which is one of the reasons i love the Moriomoto Projector fogs, they serve their job amazingly well, without producing excess light that is dangerous to other drivers on the road. And we can get the real light experts around here to explain how having to much light in the wrong places can actually damage your night vision and reduce your field of vision while creating a false sense of security but bathing everything in light. I'm not one of them, but they are floating around. Every light has a purpose, and should be upgraded or modified to improve that singular purpose, without hampering anything else.
You are totally right.
Thats what I love those Moriomoto as well.
They are so great for long highway rides at night.
I am still on the fence ordering a new set.

The yellow one I got show same pattern as the Halogen bulbs.
My dealer adjusted the fog lights as well after they fixed the wire and the do not blind traffic.

I still try to figure out if LED replacement bulbs are ‘legal’ in GA or not in fogs.

I learned that e.g. HID in non projector headlights are not legal in GA.
The car shop were I got them installed in my old 1500 never informed me on that.

People need to be more aware on those issues.

Mike

·
5,223 Posts
More then likley, no they are not. Generally speaking installng bulbs into housing that did not originally come with them, is illegal. SO LED in reflector housing= Illegal, HID in reflector Housing = Illegal, but by the same standard, HID in Halogen Projector (like in Ram projector housings) is also illegal. However the important thing is how does the light get dispersed. As long as the light is dispersed as useable light that does not hamper other driver's on the road or create negative side effects, you should be fine. But will it technically be illegal, most likely. That is why controlling beam pattern (in terms of legality) is so important. It also makes it so your not the person everyone is cussing at as you go down the road.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
More then likley, no they are not. Generally speaking installng bulbs into housing that did not originally come with them, is illegal. SO LED in reflector housing= Illegal, HID in reflector Housing = Illegal, but by the same standard, HID in Halogen Projector (like in Ram projector housings) is also illegal. However the important thing is how does the light get dispersed. As long as the light is dispersed as useable light that does not hamper other driver's on the road or create negative side effects, you should be fine. But will it technically be illegal, most likely. That is why controlling beam pattern (in terms of legality) is so important. It also makes it so your not the person everyone is cussing at as you go down the road.
So is using fog lights as driving lights they are two completely different kind of lights. Folks tend to forget this and use the fog lights as additional driving lights. I stuck 50w HIDs in my fog lights because I use them as fog lights their intended purpose (the same way as if I was driving with high beams). All fog lights have a very wide beam pattern. Driving lights are narrow so they don't shine in other drivers eyes. Instead of standing in front of your truck walk from the front to back on either side as if you were a car in an oncoming lane. Better yet if you have two cars park your truck on the side of the road turn your low beams and your fogs on. Now get in your other car and drive past your truck. Guess which lights you will get blasted with?

So if your driving down the road with any of these turned on you are likely still being cussed at and deservedly so. :stirpot:

21 - 40 of 59 Posts