Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am lost among all settings.

I was running 3 years the Morimoto XB 9006 LED Fog Light Kit.
Those were running together with a Morimoto Mopar spec 2015+ Resistor.
Never any issue, and they were running a lot.
A few month ago the Driver side died.

Funny was after checking it on the Passenger side the light was running perfectly.
Out of curiosity I also checked to run them without the resistors and they did.
Crazy stuff I thought ripped out the resistors and those fogs are running since a couple of month without the resistors just fine.

Now the Driver side died again.
I started to play as well with AlfaOBD and to my surprise the Driver side came back on again.
But this worked only a few days.
In the meantime I am not able to get the Driver side back to work.
Also not with the resistor.

If you connect plain power form a 12V battery that LED Fog light from the Driver side it runs perfect.
But not in position in the RAM.

So I thought maybe a Cable Issue.
I connected the ugly OEM fogs and the right Driver side was out as well.
Perfect I thought.
I reinstalled the OEM fogs and wanted to drop it at the dealer to let them figure out the cable issue which I assumed.
I also setback the AlfaOBD setting and damn it, the OEM Driver side came back on and is running flawless.

Anyone has a proper advice how to setup the Morimoto's properly.
Especially as we have AlfaODB available now.

Otherwise I am looking into new options as I ruined the Morimotos while getting the plastic fitting for the OEM brackets off.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
For what it's worth, I installed a set recently and put one resistor in on my '17. On the right side only, just to see what would happen.
They both work fine, so far, so I'll remove the resistor.

·
Registered
697 Posts
“Driver side died .....”
“.....play ... with AlfaOBD ...... Driver side came back on...”

“If you connect plain power form a 12V battery that LED Fog light from the Driver side it runs perfect.
But not in position in the RAM.”

“....connected the ugly OEM fogs and the right Driver side was out as well.
Perfect I thought.
I reinstalled the OEM fogs and wanted to drop it at the dealer to let them figure out the cable issue which I assumed.
I also setback the AlfaOBD setting and damn it, the OEM Driver side came back on and is running flawless.”

When you go into AlfaOBD are you seeing and / or clearing error codes (if so what are they)?

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,211 Posts
Just to make sure, you are referring to these?

Dodge Ram: XB LED - Fog Lights from Morimoto HID

The LED Projector fog lights? Or are you referring to an LED Bulb inside of a fog light housing?

I ran the X8 Projector fog lights on my 12 for several years, no resistors, no issues.

When i upgraded to my 18, i continued the plug and play approach, Just plugged them in. No issues, no resistors, no canbus cancelers, nothing. When i adjust settings for HID headlights the only fog light setting i changed was to disable the fog light drop out. I have had zero issues with the X8 Projector LED fogs

My Suggestion, with them haven worked for several years, is to check your grounds and your connectors. Sometimes the connectors might get loose, which can cause intermittent issues. Make sure your pins are fully seated and making proper contact. Especially since when you bench test the lights they work

The way the canbus system works, is at startup it will check the lights for any lights out. If it detects any issues, it will turn off power to that light, so the reason your factory light might not have worked at first is because it detected an issue, turned off power, then after a power cycle it checked again, and did not find an issue so it kept power on. I would lean towards the issue being more with the Morimoto light, or with the connector. Also, the morimoto staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. giving them a call might throw out an idea on something to check that none of us might think of that could solve the issue. If anyone else has ran into your issue, the manufacturer would be a fantastic place to start for assistance in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
653 Posts
On my 2018 I ended up installing the XB housings as is (you have to trim the connector slightly as it’s made for a 9145 bulb and the Morimoto comes with a 9006 connectio) with no other resistors or BS and just enabled LED fog lights with AlfaOBD and disabled the dropout. Been working flawlessly for 6+ months and 5000 miles

·
5,211 Posts
On my 2018 I ended up installing the XB housings as is (you have to trim the connector slightly as it’s made for a 9145 bulb and the Morimoto comes with a 9006 connectio) with no other resistors or BS and just enabled LED fog lights with AlfaOBD and disabled the dropout. Been working flawlessly for 6+ months and 5000 miles
I did neither of those things on my 18, god bless consistency :banghead::beer

Although i probably should go in and enable LED fog lights at some point just so i don't have to worry about anything.....but my connectors didn't require any trimming. they plugged right in

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine were exactly the same. Never installed the harness that came with the fogs. Just plugged them in directly and trimmed the connector slightly.

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Mine were exactly the same. Never installed the harness that came with the fogs. Just plugged them in directly and trimmed the connector slightly.
What was it that needed to be trimmed on the connectors? Both my '14 1500 and '17 3500 plugged right in, like they're supposed to.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your truck has a 9006 plug and the led fog assemblies have a 9145 plug. We are talking about the full fog assembly from morimoto not just bulbs. Everyone has to trim them if they don't use the supplied harness.

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Your truck has a 9006 plug and the led fog assemblies have a 9145 plug. We are talking about the full fog assembly from morimoto not just bulbs. Everyone has to trim them if they don't use the supplied harness.
Sorry, but not everyone does, apparently.
I only tried using the harness (box) on one out of the four lights I installed.
Removed that one box yesterday and plugged the factory connector into the light, just like on the other three.

·
5,211 Posts
No trimming necessary on either my 12 or 18. Directly plug and play with 9006 connectors....

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
Now that I think about it, my lights have a short "cord" (with the correct connector).
From what I recall, there's no way to plug directly into the bulb itself. At least not without some disassembly of the light, to find the other end of those red and black wires..

I took for granted that they all came that way, when made for a specific vehicle, which these lights are.

·
Registered
67 Posts
strange. Ram calls for 9006 fog light plug. Weird your's came built with a 9145 plug. Ive seen the morimoto fog light assemblies installed in couple trucks and always needed to trim them to use them without the harness. The fogs have the tab in them and thats why the won't plug in. Unless morimoto varied there manufacturing for a few units and shipped some with slightly different plug on them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now that I think about it, my lights have a short "cord" (with the correct connector).
From what I recall, there's no way to plug directly into the bulb itself. At least not without some disassembly of the light, to find the other end of those red and black wires..

I took for granted that they all came that way, when made for a specific vehicle, which these lights are.
There is no bulb. Its a sealed beam LED unit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the splitter is the harness im talking about. I didn't use it but in order for the light to plugin the small little piece of plastic in the middle of the connector has to be trimmed. Its possible i guess you could jam them together without trimming but i wouldn't believe they would be a water tight connection anymore.

Now like i said earlier this is only on every truck i have ever seen. Its possible i guess you guys got different lights from morimoto or ram built your trucks slightly different.

Attachments

·
5,211 Posts
I have a damaged unit in my garage, i'll take a closer look at it tonight. When i received mine they were sent with wires free, and a 9006 connector that was loose. I inserted the wires conenctors into the 9006 connector in the proper orientation and was good to go, as detailed in their own instruction manual...

http://www.morimotohid.com/media/custom/upload/File-1481643642.pdf

·
5,211 Posts
the splitter is the harness im talking about. I didn't use it but in order for the light to plugin the small little piece of plastic in the middle of the connector has to be trimmed. Its possible i guess you could jam them together without trimming but i wouldn't believe they would be a water tight connection anymore.

Now like i said earlier this is only on every truck i have ever seen. Its possible i guess you guys got different lights from morimoto or ram built your trucks slightly different.
So, what you are saying is the trimming must be done on the splitter/resistor harness? I didn't have a harness on my 12, and did not install one on my 18 no issues with either

·
Registered
10,838 Posts

I didn't get anything like what you show in that illustration. Well, for the '14 I didn't even order anything extra, thinking they'd work without.
For the '17 I did order resistors/antiflicker, whatever the little box contains, but those are meant to go in series, and look nothing like what's in your illustration.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Although i probably should go in and enable LED fog lights at some point just so i don't have to worry about anything.....but my connectors didn't require any trimming. they plugged right in
Yes you need to do that to shut off PWM from the fogs. They may work but you are causing the LED voltage regulator to work overtime.

If you use the wires from morimoto you don't need to trim anything. The slots in the connector prevent folks from plugging things in backwards. i.e. + -> - and - -> +

You don't need a splitter just a wire.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts