Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

I feel like a complete IDIOT!

1671 Views 33 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  AEdude1971
I jumped the gun without doing my homework...

First of all, thanks for having me as a member. I've loved the Cummins since they were first introduced in 1989. Too bad it took me 20 years to finally acquire one.

Anyway, two weeks ago I bought a 2000 Dodge 2500 quad cab short bed with only 73,000 miles from the original owner. The owner was an older guy and looking to downsize. It's an Auto with 3.55 gears. It's completely stock except for the tires, which were upgraded to 315's

The first thing I wanted to do was chip the truck, but I figured if I am going to chip it, I should probably install a set of gauges so I don't blow something up.

So last week I purchased a set of Glowshift pillar gauges - EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure.

This week I started searching for chips and found the Edge, only find out that, :doh:, the Edge already provides a plug and play interface that monitors everything the Glowshift gauges I just bought does and more!

I feel like such an idiot. I wasted $225 for NOTHING. And now I feel obligated to take the time to install them. Looks like I'll be wearing belts and suspenders.

Is there an on-line retailer that anyone can recommend that offers a good price for the Edge? I know, if I install the Edge, I also have to upgrade my lift pump. That'll be next.

Thanks again for having me as a member. :headbang:
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don
1,630 Posts
You could always run both....or just sell the glowshift gauges and run the attitude monitor for you gauges. As far as good deals on the Juice...go check out the vendors section. They will all be about the same price, but I buy all my stuff from John at Holland Court Diesel. His name on the forums is Jbarker.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Just buy an edge comp. Same thing as the juice with attitude, except it doesn't have the guages. So it's perfect for ya.

Oh. And welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

· PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don
1,630 Posts
Just buy an edge comp. Same thing as the juice with attitude, except it doesn't have the guages. So it's perfect for ya.

Oh. And welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
The tunes are the same but the Juice gives you a ton more options and features compared to the Comp.

· Registered
166 Posts
I jumped the gun without doing my homework...

First of all, thanks for having me as a member. I've loved the Cummins since they were first introduced in 1989. Too bad it took me 20 years to finally acquire one.

Anyway, two weeks ago I bought a 2000 Dodge 2500 quad cab short bed with only 73,000 miles from the original owner. The owner was an older guy and looking to downsize. It's an Auto with 3.55 gears. It's completely stock except for the tires, which were upgraded to 315's

The first thing I wanted to do was chip the truck, but I figured if I am going to chip it, I should probably install a set of gauges so I don't blow something up.

So last week I purchased a set of Glowshift pillar gauges - EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure.

This week I started searching for chips and found the Edge, only find out that, :doh:, the Edge already provides a plug and play interface that monitors everything the Glowshift gauges I just bought does and more!

I feel like such an idiot. I wasted $225 for NOTHING. And now I feel obligated to take the time to install them. Looks like I'll be wearing belts and suspenders.

Is there an on-line retailer that anyone can recommend that offers a good price for the Edge? I know, if I install the Edge, I also have to upgrade my lift pump. That'll be next.

Thanks again for having me as a member. :headbang:
Edge makes a few chips for your truck. You can get the EZ or the Comp box. Neither of them have the monitor with guages. I think you can add the monitor to them. The Juice with Attitude is the box that comes with the monitor.

The Comp box is a very popular box. You can use your guages to monitor everything with that.

· DieselAutoPower.com
7,491 Posts
I missed having a boost gauge. The digital readout of a boost gauge isn't easy to refresh quickly or know how fast it's moving. Otherwise, like others have said, just sell the gauges you picked up.

· Registered
289 Posts
Alot of guy's have a full gauge package AND a juice w/attitude or a quadzilla w/pulse.
So dont feel bad at all about it.Alot of guys like the look af a gauge and will trust it more than a dijital readout .I am planning on doing both.Full gauges and pod are here now.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
You can sell them here in the classifieds if you decide. I'm sure they'd sell fast. Fill out your sig under private messages so we know what you got.

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alot of guy's have a full gauge package AND a juice w/attitude or a quadzilla w/pulse.
So dont feel bad at all about it.Alot of guys like the look af a gauge and will trust it more than a dijital readout .I am planning on doing both.Full gauges and pod are here now.
Good to hear. Now I don't feel so bad. I'll install the gauge pod this weekend and maybe next week buy the Edge. I minus go all the way and buy the Edge with attitude. I went to Edge's website and they said it's very easy to install - just plug and play. It takes all the necessary readings from the stock Dodge computer, which is surprising. I still don't know how the Edge reads EGT since I didn't think the stock Dodge computer had a sensor to read EGT's. So I don't know where the Edge is getting it's temp reading. Unless I am going to have to install another EGT probe.

Anyway, I don't want to make the same mistake twice, so if there is something out there that's better than the Edge for the money, I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise, I'll be buying the Edge next week.

Thanks again for everyone's input. :yourock:

· Registered
360 Posts
Go with the J/A. You'll love edge products. Just get that lift pump taken care of!!!!
:ditto::ditto:stock dodge lift pumps are a POS! deffinatly get that taken care of before you add any programmer that you decide to choose. and welcome to cummins forum!

· Registered
598 Posts
LIFT PUMP BEFORE EDGE!!! or otherwise edge on nothing higher that setting 0x0,1x0 or 2x0

· Registered
598 Posts
of course..depending on what edge box you get LOL been there done the VP thing cause i trashed it playing with my edge with the crappy stock LP.

· Registered
598 Posts
there are many options...

if you aren't planning too many mods...and are on a tight budget...then I'd go with a raptor 100 or FASS 95 HPFP...they will work with your stock filter housing/intank sender unit..but you might want to get a bigline kit to go from your filter housing to vp..(with a sensor tapin fitting for the edge FP sensor). also gives you bigger feedlines..

Now if you are planning bigger mods...go with the FASS 150/150 or Airdog 150.. it willgive you 1/2" fuel line..eliminates the stock filter housing and gives you purer fuel (no entrained air) to your vp...plus filter changes are a snap...and will handle mods with ease.

either way you can't go wrong...Airdog is cheaper than FASS but both are very good products...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.