Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 IC w250, auto, 4x4. my boost gauge is saying i only have 9-10lbs of boost at WOT. i read somewhere else, that 10lbs is normal for a IC truck, but i dont think thats right. im trying to make sure my stock boost numbers are correct, before i start any tuning. my buddy did give me a air filter he had lying around (its a AFE filter, off his 07 cummins, it bolted right on.) can anyone help me? any ideas will work. this is starting to stump me lol

·
Super Moderator
23,749 Posts
Check your rubber connections for leaks, soapy water works good. Make sure your tubing for the boost gauge isn't kinked.

My truck only gets 15 at WOT. When i'm cruising down the highway I get 1-2, which is good.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Not unusual for an auto to have lower boost than a manual. That mushy torque converter will take a lot of load off the engine and turn it into low fuel mileage. My 92 is that way. It isn't until your climbing a good grade does the boost start climbing. 10 is kinda low for an auto, but then again you have that huge 21cm2 exhaust housing on the turbo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, but i dont have any steep hills to climb around here. and when i do, it still doesnt go past 10lbs. i was told, at WOT it should be between 15-18, but most likely around 15. and are u sure, i have a 21cm2 exhaust housing? i mean, yes i do have the hc1, but how can i double check? i already have an aftermarket exhaust. i just want my numbers where they should be, before i do anything.

·
Super Moderator
23,749 Posts
Whatever size of a housing you will have the no. will be cast on the side of the housing near the bolt flange on the inside.

·
Registered
141 Posts
wow... i must be doing something right.... my boost will hit 20 when pulling hard and wide open (which i only do out of curiosity and not for very long)... and i am stock except for a bully dog fuel pin and 4" exhaust and 40 hp injectors...

·
Registered
543 Posts
my 91.5 would only hit 9 to 10 psi stock and with what i have done it will push 25 now. but u probably got the 21cm housing like me and it sucks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
if im cruising i get 1-2 psi and when im WOT im pushing 40 psi hehe

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I was curious as to whether I had the 21cm on the all stock 92 W350 I use to own. One day I checked and found I had the 18. Not all 92s had a 21

·
Super Moderator
23,749 Posts
I was curious as to whether I had the 21cm on the all stock 92 W350 I use to own. One day I checked and found I had the 18. Not all 92s had a 21
That's why I tell everyone to look before replacing. 93's had a 18 so a 92 could have been a later 92 and gotten the 18.

·
Registered
480 Posts
my 93 pushes 21 pounds at WOT, mostly stock also

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
91.5, early 92s, and 1 tons have the 21s. Later 92s and 93s have 18s. With a stock injection system with a stock automatic transmission, expect low boost. If you want more boost, start turning in the fuel screw. Just don't turn it in too far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.