Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were on a trip to Chicago towing a 9000 pound enclosed car trailer. In Springfield IL I decided to top off the tank so that hopefully we would not need to buy fuel in Chicago proper. I pulled in the lane that had an arrow that said "Diesel" and stopped the engine. It had just under 1/2 tank showing on the gage.

Started pumping fuel and realized it was E-85! Shut it off just under 7 gallons. Started cursing myself for being so stupid. Told the wife we would probably be staying in town for a couple days.

Just then a fire truck pulled in on the other side of the row of pumps where all the diesel was. My wife suggested I ask them for instructions on who best to call. I walked over and started talking to them about my mistake.

The firemen had a diesel mechanic on staff who they called and then put me on the line with. He asked if I had turned the key on. I said no. He said fine, you are going to be OK if you follow my instructions.

Long story short, the firemen took my credit card and went shopping. They came back with 5 five gallon gas cans and one yellow diesel 5 gallon can. They also bought a siphon pump with 10 feet of hose. I siphoned the tank until it was dry. Then filled it to the top with fresh diesel.

While I did get fuel all over myself it turned out great. We made it to Chicago and are now back home without incident. I sent the fire station in Springfield a cookie gram. Those guys are the best!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
GLAD it worked out !!!

LIL expensive though

Here in MD you gotta LOOK because the pump handle could be green or black or yellow . Truth

IE: Some stations the gas pumps are all black , and the diesel are green , ok i can get down with that,, and others the gas could be green or black and only the diesel pump is yellow !!

Reactions: Tall

·
Registered
819 Posts
Man, I'm happy for you that you saw your mistake before starting the engine, whew. You're not the first one to do something like that, so don't beat yourself up over it. All's well that ends well. Good job.

Gil

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Yup, that's a sinking feeling when you realize what you just did. You're certainly not the first or the last. Glad you were able to get it fixed on your own with no further problems. Local dealerships charge about $700.00 for what you were able to accomplish for the cost of a few fuel cans and a siphon hose. I hate that the color codes at the gas pumps keep changing. Awesome that the Fire Department stepped in to help you out when you were on the road.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My boss topped his ford diesel off with unleaded, maybe 7 gallons, if I remember right. I know it is a Ford, but it destroyed a pretty reliable, older Powerstroke. The piston cooling jets were in the oil pan. The worst of it was, he knew what he did and ran it anyway.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Dump in 1 gal of outboard lube TC-W3 per gal of gas accidentally pumped in.
Let set for 1/2 hr to mix. Drive pickup back and forth short distance to slosh fuel/mix.

On your way.

NO outboard lube, hydraulic oil works< ISO 46 or ISO100.

Better than walking out in a snow storm 50 miles back in the brush.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made the same mistake but at least now I know a 12 valve will run on 75% gasoline 25% diesel just fine. I had one gas truck and one diesel truck at the time so it was probably bound to happen.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You’re not the first and certainly not the last. I’ve dealt with this situation many many times (not me, I’m a diesel mechanic).

Those firemen are pretty stand up guys for helping you out like that. Cheers to them!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did that one time with a pump that had a black handle in the diesel lane of an Exxon station while someone beside me was trying to start up a conversation. Pumped about 8 gallons gas on top of 10 gal of diesel before I realized it. I was not even 1/4 mile from my driveway. Drove there, took rubber connector apart on top of tank & siphoned out what I could, loaded up with 5 gals new diesel and a couple of small bottles of 2 stroke, then drove back and filled up completely. Never had an issue. It happens more often than not to many of us.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I put a locking green Stant diesel fuel cap on the tank to slow me down at a fillup station. It makes me think more about what I am doing.
I have the same cap and I love it.

·
lost
244 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me about 8 years ago in the company Ford Powerstroke. Darn gas pump had like 2 black pump handles and one green handle and took for granted it was diesel. Pumped maybe 4-5 gallons of gas before I noticed. I was low on fuel anyway so I think the diesel diluted the gas and ran it out through the system as it seemed to still run good afterwards.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
GLAD it worked out !!!

LIL expensive though

Here in MD you gotta LOOK because the pump handle could be green or black or yellow . Truth

IE: Some stations the gas pumps are all black , and the diesel are green , ok i can get down with that,, and others the gas could be green or black and only the diesel pump is yellow !!
Congress is paralyzed but maybe simplifying a common diesel pump handle color could jump start compromise.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Maybe it's because of where I live, but the different colored pumps/handles/buttons etc. are so common that you never ever look at color to determine what you are pumping if it's not a gas station you've been too.

The only time I'd have trouble is if a particular gas station that is color coded a certain way were to change. Like Kroger is green for Diesel and yellow for E85. I fill up one or the other depending on the vehicle I am driving. If they ever changed colors I might make a mistake.

that said, I've seen people get away with running a few gallons or so of regular gas, but E85 seems like it would be so bad. There is so much water in it. My other vehicle has long tubes and no cats and it spits water at you while idling cold and then just vents steam once hot. It's funny when it's cold out because there is so much steam behind the car at a light or a drive thru.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
my neighbor has a tuned up 6.0. another neighbor was converted his house from fuel heating oil to gas or electric. i don't know how long ago the conversion was, but he was getting rid of the old oil tank. asked my neighbor with the 6.0 if he wanted it for his truck. he filled half his tank up and got halfway down the street. trucks in the shop getting new fuel system.

·
Registered
13,252 Posts
Maybe it's because of where I live, but the different colored pumps/handles/buttons etc. are so common that you never ever look at color to determine what you are pumping if it's not a gas station you've been too.
Now that you mention it, and after reading this thread, I don't have a clue what colors they use at the local station, and definitely not anywhere else in the country.

If the nozzle doesn't look and smell like it has diesel on it, it probably isn't a diesel pump.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Now that you mention it, and after reading this thread, I don't have a clue what colors they use at the local station, and definitely not anywhere else in the country.

If the nozzle doesn't look and smell like it has diesel on it, it probably isn't a diesel pump.
I do mostly because Kroger for example puts all their diesel pumps on the outer few islands and usually E85 if the station has it. So have to figure out which is which.

Usually I fill up there or costco and the nice thing about our costco with diesel, is every single pump has gasoline and diesel and they have like 20+ pumps. So no waiting on the person day dreaming blocking the only diesel pump lol.

I do agree about the smell though. I can always identify the correct nozzle for E85 and Diesel by the smell. both have very distinct smells.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts