Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick rundown, was drivin to gym a couple days ago and hear a funny clunk in the engine bay. Loss power steering and breaks and was welp theres goes the power steering pump. Go it pulled over and started lookin and it was dripping power steering fluid and the top of the pump/cap was covered. Then noticed my belt had spit and basically came all apart. Found a bolt layin in the front and my idler puller just layin there. Come to find out that the idler pulley bolt broke in half and caused it to sling the pulley and then the belt just came all apart. Getting it back today and put one of the kits on it with the hardened/stronger bolt.

My question is just to make sure, when my belt went, would that of caused all the back pressure on the power steering pump and me tryin to pull over to cause it to blow alittle back through the cap?? Local shop said that was normal in this situation which it seems right.Just wanted yalls feedback

·
Registered
314 Posts
If the belt got locked up or something when the idler pulley broke it could have grabbed onto the power steering pump and locked it up and just shot it out the top. My power steering pump leaks a little out of the top when I turn full extension sometimes at decent speeds. I wouldn't worry about it unless it stays a problem when you get it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same happen to me. I had just replace my water pump pulley ,belt tensioner and idler pulley.Belt was good, so didn’t replace it. I can’t figure why that bolt broke in halve that bolt is a 10.6 grade. Need some help here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would check your water pump. Mine broke the tensioner and belt. The tension pulley was still smooth rolling but the water pump could spin smooth but then it would get catchy and stop turning. I had the belt changed literally like two weeks before that because of squeaking.

Might not have been any thing wrong with power steering but flying parts broke it. Once the belt comes off you lose power steering. At least I knew my belt had jumped off. It didn’t make much noise when it happened going down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts