Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys im new to the site i bought about a 3weeks ago an 06 mega 2500 diesel/auto. i got it home cut the cat and muffler out threw a k&n on and bought a bully dog downloader. i drove it nice for a while then i had to bump it up to crazy larry setting, and that was the begining of the end. it started shiftin sloppy then the TC started slippin pulling my work trailer i got to the top of the hill and it was dripping tranny fluid from the bell housing. now its parked not by choice.my question is, TC,VB,FP? if so which ones? i live about 5min from BD diesel and DTT or do i wait and get it shipped from georand transmision? PPPlease help

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, all 3 of those companies are very good, could prob save some money on shipping if you get it locally. Sorry to hear about your truck but you'll love it even more once this is all squared away.

·
Registered
540 Posts
:welcome: that sucks to hear about your rig. If you have a friend with a truck, have them drive you to the BD place. The first things to go on these are the input shafts, then the TC.

Since you are already doing the work though its probably in your best intrests to get it all done at once so it can handle some real horsepower.

·
Registered
732 Posts
this is the reason i got a manual. sorry buddy. i know how it feels to wake up one day and think. man i need a new tranny. but i pretty sure tranny fluid drippin from the bell housing is from the over flow. from the trany fluid getting to hot and over flowing but. what where your temps and how much weight were you pulling and on what setting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do the input shafts break off? or do they just wear quick? what is the problem with them? thanks for all the help guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when i was pullin it was the day before and it was about 6000lb the next day is when it slipped and it was with the truck empty goin up a steep hill it pulled fine in first then sloppy shift into second and i could feal the tc slipping bad like a worn out clutch in a manual. i dont have a tranny temp gauge only ex temp and boost but before i drive it again it will have tranny temp and fuel pressure

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
So you were pulling a trailer with it on crazy larry setting? And yes the input shafts are prone to breaking under boost launches.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm in a similiar boat, except I'm worried about my clutch breaking apart and doing some damage to the tranny. The truck got all of my hauling done for a bit before it decided to puke the clutch, so its going to sit till I get time to replace the clutch. But yes, the shafts will break during high stress from things such as sled pulling and boosted launches.

Zach

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was pullin the trailer on preformance but its not like i was balls to the wall everywhere i went i just left it there for the low end power increase i dont think i even put the petal all the way to the floor once with the trailer. it was acting up before i even pulled the trailer and the trailer finished it. as for the imput shaft i dont plan on doing any high boost launches or sled pulling i just want to be able to pull my trailer(and my snowmobile trailer) with out blowing my tranny i dont want a race truck i want a work truck. but i am goin to lift it hopefully 6inch with 37's if they will fit and i would love to be able to leave it on prefomance setting and not have it leave me stranded

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
Thats why I never downloaded the Crazy Larry on my Bully Dog, cuz I was scared something would happen. Sorry for your trouble. Hope you get it worked out

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i allways learn the hard way.>> im off to dtt tomorow im goin to see if i get a break on the price if i buy vb,tc,fp and maybe a deep pan all at the same time

·
Registered
205 Posts
Stock autos just dont hold up for long to power programers, never mind the Crazy Settings. You need to figure it this way, the programer is cheeper than the trans, but the trans should be done before the programer or you spend the money 'cause you have to, not want to... Good luck with her... Chris

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
that is some sad news........thats why sometime i wish i bought the 6speed manual.

I have 90,000miles on my 48re and have not had one problem. i service my tranny every 30,000miles and thank god i have not had one issue. I pull a 14,000lbs trailer around one a month and haul motorcycle's everyweekend. Even race ricer's around town..........no problems.

sorry to hear that it didn't hold up. but hey when your done with what your doing. you shouldn't run to anymore problems

i recommend you get some type of bypass oil filter for your tranny, and even an oil cooler. would help out so much.:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
youd still need to invest in a good clutch which is about as much as a TC on the high to 600 or so on the low

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'd go with DTT over BD. DTT is all about trannys. Where as BD makes other stuff. But, I have no experience with either, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dtt wants 4300 for a billet trans without shafts or flex plateand 5700 for everything with me doing the re&re..wow...can i do front clutches vb tc flex plate ? do i need everything billet for the inside? will it blow up it i dont...man this stuff is so confusing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts