Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it worth posting this for others who may be interested.

I know there's plenty of people who cant wait to tear out the OEM stereo system no matter the vehicle and replace it was all the cool high dollar aftermarket components. Me, I have always thought the factory stereo was plenty sufficient in this truck. Sounds nice and is easy to use. That said, it doesn't have an auxiliary port nor does it have the fancy high tech look but for me I prefer that. So to each is own in that aspect. I'll agree that the ability to connect in a USB would be great but that desire for me has only been around for probably the past year or so and bluetooth is becoming real popular. If I ever change the deck out it would be because I want the ability to listen to an I-Pod or MP3 through the deck. Currently I dont think there's anyway to do this through a deck which doesnt have the aux ports.

But with all that said, if there was anything I did not care for from the factory Infinity stereo it was the very limited bass it produced. Kind pathetic and turning up the bass did nothing but cause distortion and poor sound results all around.

So finally I decided to splurge a little and got a self powered. Nothing too expensive either but nice 8" compact sub so it could fit under one of the seats. Well if anyone happen to read my other thread about needing wiring diagram advice, I did find where the speaker wires route and they come from the dash down over to the drivers side and down the door rail, to the rear door speaker, then up over the cab and down the other back side corner to the passenger door speaker. Pulling the rear panels loose beside the rear seat was all I needed to be able to tap into the rear speaker wires and bring them all back down around behind the rear seat and to the subs mounting spot located under the back seat on the drivers side. I ran all other wires (12 volt, remote wire, and gain) back up the drivers side door rail along side the factory existing wiring and connected them to all their locations.

OK.....so how does it sound? Well all I can say is WHY didn't I do this years ago????? This little 8" sub sounds AWESOME. Added everything I hoped for and way more. I had a wide range of people tell me that it would add so little bass that I would be wanting an aftermarket deck after going through all this and then there was a few others who said it should add the bass I was after. And yes, not only did it add what I'm after but when I got done with all the setting adjustments, there is so much room for gain that if I was to turn it up all the way with the remote gain knob I tucked in the ash tray, the additional bass would vibrate the doors and windows and become completely uncomfortable for anyone in the cab.

So in short, if anyone is after some more bass from their OEM deck then dont hesitate to spend a couple bucks and invest in a self powered sub if you're not ready to replace every stereo component. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Anklh

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
Was looking at one of those as I can't see spending 400+ on a box. If you don't mind telling us where you got it from?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. This is the sub I bought. Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com I know some people dont care for Crutchfield because they can be more expensive but I appreciate their tech assistance and easy customer service. Plus it was on sale not to long ago too which made it even more enticing for me.

As I mentioned before, all I need now is a way to play auxiliary through the factory deck and then I'd never feel the need to replace it. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mruark

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
They sell caset tapes with an aux cord attached.

I think I might have one actually... ill look when I get off

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do those kinda things actually sound good? :confused013:

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
For like 5bucks its the best your gona get without changin the unit... its prob not top of the line quality but you can change your settings and stuff. Again I prob havent usef or heard one in over 4years

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Get on ebay and type in "cassette aux adaptor"

·
Registered
985 Posts
I bought a cassette aux player. Get decent sound out of it. I used it on a 4,000 mile Road trip. Worked perfect. Now it keeps playing for a second then rewinding like it's at the end. No amount of rewinding will fix this for me. But none the less I'd say I got my 5 bucks out of it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,648 Posts
I bought a cassette aux player. Get decent sound out of it. I used it on a 4,000 mile Road trip. Worked perfect. Now it keeps playing for a second then rewinding like it's at the end. No amount of rewinding will fix this for me. But none the less I'd say I got my 5 bucks out of it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Try flipping it over to the other side. Mine has done this before.

Those adapters are nice but lack in the sound department. For just general listening in a stock system it's fine. I used to have to have a cheap one that finally bit the dust so I went to walmart and bought a sony one for 10.00 sounded much better. The thing I don't like is once you turn up the volume you can hear a static like noise like you would with a tape. Also it doesn't charge my phone/iPod like my USB radio in my truck does.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congrats, nothing like a new stereo or in your case, that new stereo sound.
I went with the more expensive Kicker from Crutchfield, and although I love it, it does leave me wanting more. Wish I could hear the two side by side, but thats what you get for buying online.:confused013:

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Lol I have 2-10" and 1-12" all kicker and you get used to it... you will always want more.

Reactions: camdinga

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks guys. This is the sub I bought. Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com I know some people dont care for Crutchfield because they can be more expensive but I appreciate their tech assistance and easy customer service. Plus it was on sale not to long ago too which made it even more enticing for me.

As I mentioned before, all I need now is a way to play auxiliary through the factory deck and then I'd never feel the need to replace it. :thumbsup:
Glad you finally got a sub installed. I know you was having a time with what to do. Did you find those speakers wires you were askin about?

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I wish I had a radio in mine when I bought it. The whole system was blown but, I did get a whole new system for less than 500 thanks to amazon and sellout prices. :D 2x10" and new infinity all around. Glad you got that bass back :D

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad you finally got a sub installed. I know you was having a time with what to do. Did you find those speakers wires you were askin about?
Thanks again guys. And yes, I did find those wires. :thumbup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want the stock unit, but the sounds and features of an aftermarket unit, there are solutions out there. I run a JL cleansweep in my car and it does just that. Squashes the crappy factory EQ and builds a new one, plus it has aux ports, etc.

Sounds like night and day difference. They are pricey bastards though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They do make little auxillary adapters that actually plug in where the antenna plugs into the stereo, then the antenna wire will plug into the back of the box. It was a head phone cord coming out that you can plug your aux stuff into. I have heard that they work pretty awesome. I trick to the cassette tapes, leave your phone/Ipod at only about 75% volume. It will cut a lot of that extra noise out.

Check this out....

FM Direct Adapter (Reconditioned) - Shop - SiriusXM Radio

·
Registered
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you want the stock unit, but the sounds and features of an aftermarket unit, there are solutions out there. I run a JL cleansweep in my car and it does just that. Squashes the crappy factory EQ and builds a new one, plus it has aux ports, etc.

Sounds like night and day difference. They are pricey bastards though.
Very interesting as I've never heard about such a device. I've researched all means I can find on how to connect auxiliary ports into a non-port factory deck and I understand that the cassette adapter is no good, the wireless is only as good as it can be sending a wireless signal into a low FM channel, and the FM antenna adapter will sound as good as the best FM signal.....but still not the same as digital.
So with that said, does this JL cleansweep tie into the FM antenna or is it something completely different? :thumbup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Something completely different. It ties between your speaker output wires and your speakers.

So it takes the wired signals, inputs them, modifies them and spits them back out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts