Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
i got a 1995 dodge 4x4, and was wondering if any body has taken a hydro brake booster out of a 98.5-01 cummins and installed in a 2nd gen. rig? i have heard of it being done, but never got the details of which year to use and installation procedure. any ideas???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some one has to have at least a little bit of info concerning the topic?

·
Registered
92 Posts
you will have to make sure the hydrobooster fits your mounting points, and then there is the possibility of the plunger(shaft) being to short or to long for your brake pedal. only way to find out for sure is to try, someone is always the first one.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
hi guys,
i got a 1995 dodge 4x4, and was wondering if any body has taken a hydro brake booster out of a 98.5-01 cummins and installed in a 2nd gen. rig? i have heard of it being done, but never got the details of which year to use and installation procedure. any ideas???
Are you having trouble with the stock brake booster?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
whats wrong with the 2nd gen hydraulic setup?

·
Suffers from Black Lung
1,251 Posts
any progress? I would like to free up some space under my suburbans hood. how difficult is the conversion?

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
There was someone here asking to do the same a couple weeks ago.
He found that the only easy swap is a hydro boost from a '97, otherwise it takes too many modifications.

The vacuum brake boost system works just as good as the hydro, if you feel the need to swap more than likely something is wrong like a vacuum leak or rear brakes that need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hydro boost

There was someone here asking to do the same a couple weeks ago.
He found that the only easy swap is a hydro boost from a '97, otherwise it takes too many modifications.

The vacuum brake boost system works just as good as the hydro, if you feel the need to swap more than likely something is wrong like a vacuum leak or rear brakes that need to be adjusted.
The dodge I think has a dual diaphragms vacuum booster which is capable of building more pressure that the single unit. That being said I am going to try the 97 hydro boost unit in a couple of months. To busy now at work. A fellow that goes by gmctd helped me with the information and I appreciate it. This is what I was told. I can use the master cylinder on the 95 on the 97 hydro boost unit. just remove the complete unit from the donor firewall, incl the brake rod from the peddle, get the three hoses and the power steering reservoir, which has two hose-return barbs. Remove your vacuum-booster cylinder, install the hydro boost unit all the bolts match u, the rod fits your brake peddle. all the hoses fit your power steering gear and pump. Just bolt everything up. You can get the pump valve if you need it from the donor truck.
Also the power steering pump from a Chev can be used on the dodge, you have to install the coupling on the Chev pump.
I have all ready installed the larger Chev rear cylinder along with new drums and shoes. That really helped. I just wont better brakes. The next thing may be the 02 front axle with dual calipers and improved steering links. FYI the 16 inch wheels will fit the dual-caliper front brakes. I hope that I got this correct, check to make sure Jim

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm a little confused. Why is the hydro boost supposed to be better brakes than the vacuum unit? I can lock up the wheels anytime I want on my '95.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hydro boost

I'm a little confused. Why is the hydro boost supposed to be better brakes than the vacuum unit? I can lock up the wheels anytime I want on my '95.
I can lockup the rear sometimes but never the front. The hydro boost unit is on 97 hd and all later units I believe. The reason they did so is why? I have been told that the hydroboost would give me a better brakes. Perhaps not. I have going to find out. I am glad yours works good.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The reason for the change was that the vacuum boost would run out of vacuum if the engine was idling for some time when using a lot of braking doing something like trying to back a trailer into a difficult place. The slow turning vacuum pump could not keep up with usage so if that happens you have to take a little break to let it catch up. Otherwise the hydro system is not any better. I've made a couple of panic stops on US101 here in Humboldt County, CA that had four skid marks on the road. One was coming around a curve and found a wreck in the road. Those skid marks looked like fish hooks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hydro boost

The reason for the change was that the vacuum boost would run out of vacuum if the engine was idling for some time when using a lot of braking doing something like trying to back a trailer into a difficult place. The slow turning vacuum pump could not keep up with usage so if that happens you have to take a little break to let it catch up. Otherwise the hydro system is not any better. I've made a couple of panic stops on US101 here in Humboldt County, CA that had four skid marks on the road. One was coming around a curve and found a wreck in the road. Those skid marks looked like fish hooks.
I have experienced that before also. Using the brakes at idle. Sir several of the first generation guys have changed over to the hydro boost system and they thought there was a big difference. Perhaps not. Since your brakes work great for you that is a good thing. I just wont better brakes.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The only thing I do that is any different from most people is that I check and adjust my brakes at every oil change. If I find something I don't like I fix it. Look for sticking calipers and rear brakes out of adjustment or rusty. Check for leaking wheel cylinders of course. I've had to replace the passenger side rear axle seal a couple of times. Since I retired that's not as often as it was. I suspect that the hydro boost may feel better, but I don't think it's any better where the rubber meets the road.

·
Registered
124 Posts
brakes

The only thing I do that is any different from most people is that I check and adjust my brakes at every oil change. If I find something I don't like I fix it. Look for sticking calipers and rear brakes out of adjustment or rusty. Check for leaking wheel cylinders of course. I've had to replace the passenger side rear axle seal a couple of times. Since I retired that's not as often as it was. I suspect that the hydro boost may feel better, but I don't think it's any better where the rubber meets the road.
Sir I appriecate your advice. I have replaced the rear brakes, new wheel cylinders, the chev one to,. new drums. new front calipers, new pads, new master cylinder, flushed systems bleed system several times. Adjusted the rear shoes up after running a few miles to be sure they were up. My son told me that he saw the master cylinder move forward when I pushed the brake peddle> the vacuum booster was deforming and moving forward. That is when I had enough. I will try the hydro boost system. I am glad that yours is working for you but mine is not good enough for me. IF you hear or think of any ideas I appreicate them. Kim

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
The hydro boost unit is on 97 hd and all later units I believe. The reason they did so is why?
I think the main reason for the change was fear of recall if oil got in the vacuum lines and caused brake system failure.

I'm with Joe, I can skid all four with my vacuum assist . In fact with 4 wheel anti-lock I was able to steer and skid at the same time when the car I was passing at 75 mph all the sudden turned left in front of me.
Still hit it but at least the damage wasn't as bad as it could of been.

All the boost does be it vacuum or hydro is help your foot push down on the brakes, the actual braking system remains the same. Personally can't see how physically it could make a difference, locking it up is locking it up, how could you expect more?
I've driven both hydro and vacuum and couldn't really notice any difference.
At least with the vacuum system problems are easy to diagnose and cheaper to fix.
Plus it's a big advantage to be able to move the master out of the way to change the fuel filter. With the hydro you can't do it, make filter changes a PITA.

·
Registered
124 Posts
hydro boost

I think the main reason for the change was fear of recall if oil got in the vacuum lines and caused brake system failure.

I'm with Joe, I can skid all four with my vacuum assist . In fact with 4 wheel anti-lock I was able to steer and skid at the same time when the car I was passing at 75 mph all the sudden turned left in front of me.
Still hit it but at least the damage wasn't as bad as it could of been.

All the boost does be it vacuum or hydro is help your foot push down on the brakes, the actual braking system remains the same. Personally can't see how physically it could make a difference, locking it up is locking it up, how could you expect more?
I've driven both hydro and vacuum and couldn't really notice any difference.
At least with the vacuum system problems are easy to diagnose and cheaper to fix.
Plus it's a big advantage to be able to move the master out of the way to change the fuel filter. With the hydro you can't do it, make filter changes a PITA.
I wish I could do the lock up all four wheels. I could today but there is a inch of ice on the road. Bill have you ever seen the vacuum booster deform and move the master cylinder forward? I dont care if it is more money to fix as long as it will stop my truck. I unstand that your truck stops good. Why did the factory go to dual calipers front brakes or larger rotors? Finally the rear brakes are disc? There must have been a reason for these changes. The hydro boost may not be a difference. Some of the guys that have installed them seem to like them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts