Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Hypertech Max energy last week for my 07 C/C truck and still not impressed! I have it set on stage 3 (per tech support) and can't realy tell it is there. Returned truck back to stock setting last night and drove 100 miles, then reinstalled stage 3 again, still not really any power upgrade. The lieometer overhead showed a little over 1 mpg gain @65 mph. Was told that stage 3 was 81hp (per tech support).

My 99 truck has the Edge EZ which is 65hp and when I unplug it and drive stock then reinstall, you CAN tell there is MORE power and that is only 65hp!

So why am I not seeing anything with 81hp?:confused013:

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I bought the Hypertech Max energy last week for my 07 C/C truck and still not impressed! I have it set on stage 3 (per tech support) and can't realy tell it is there. Returned truck back to stock setting last night and drove 100 miles, then reinstalled stage 3 again, still not really any power upgrade. The lieometer overhead showed a little over 1 mpg gain @65 mph. Was told that stage 3 was 81hp (per tech support).

My 99 truck has the Edge EZ which is 65hp and when I unplug it and drive stock then reinstall, you CAN tell there is MORE power and that is only 65hp!

So why am I not seeing anything with 81hp?:confused013:
According to Hypertech, there is a 129hp gain on the C&C trucks with the Max Energy on stage 3. You should definitely feel a difference. I would call tech support again.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Stage 3 is supposed to be a 121hp gain according to hypertech. Honestly when I had it on my truck you could tell it was there but it wasn't that crazy of a tune. That ultimately made my decision to part ways with my hypertech max energy programmer and dump it for a PMT.

The max energy is a low budget tuner, and the power gains are mild.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Hypertech, there is a 129hp gain on the C&C trucks with the Max Energy on stage 3. You should definitely feel a difference. I would call tech support again.
I know what Hypertech shows on paper, but your website has the same product listed and shows 85hp on stage 3 setting!:confused013:

I have set mine on stage 2 and stage 3 and notice NOTHING other than just over 1mpg gain about 60 mph. Not worht the $300. for 1mpg and NO POWER gain!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I know what Hypertech shows on paper, but your website has the same product listed and shows 85hp on stage 3 setting!:confused013:

I have set mine on stage 2 and stage 3 and notice NOTHING other than just over 1mpg gain about 60 mph. Not worht the $300. for 1mpg and NO POWER gain!
The numbers in the description on my site are for the regular 6.7's not the C&C's.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The numbers in the description on my site are for the regular 6.7's not the C&C's.
Well,somebody is wrong somewhere. The information from Hypertech's website, box and information book about the max enegry shows 129hp for the 6.7 Cummins Diesel! But when I called Hypertech direct they state "81hp for the C/C and 129hp for the regular trucks"

Talk about major misleading..... Either way, 81hp or 129hp with this truck on stage 3, you should feel it in the seat of you pants. I know the 6.7's are not the same as the 5.9's, but like I said, I can remove the Edge EZ from my 99 and tell a difference in power and it is only 65hp had has no other mods at all!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Well,somebody is wrong somewhere. The information from Hypertech's website, box and information book about the max enegry shows 129hp for the 6.7 Cummins Diesel! But when I called Hypertech direct the state "81hp for the C/C and 129hp for the regular trucks"

Here's the dyno graph directly from the Hypertech site. The top graph is for the C&C which shows 129hp on stage 3. The bottom graph is for the regular 6.7 which shows 85hp on stage 3. You need to scroll down to see the second graph:
http://www.hypertech.com/media/dynocharts/aa/2007-2008%20dodge%20ram%20cummins%2067l.pdf

·
Recovering Post Whore
747 Posts
Here's the dyno graph directly from the Hypertech site. The top graph is for the C&C which shows 129hp on stage 3. The bottom graph is for the regular 6.7 which shows 85hp on stage 3. You need to scroll down to see the second graph:
http://www.hypertech.com/media/dynocharts/aa/2007-2008%20dodge%20ram%20cummins%2067l.pdf

Very interesting when you compare the two....but then I realized it's not a apples to apples comparo! If you notice the C&C was an auto and the 2500 was a manual. :doh:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I will be on the phone first thing in the morning! :banghead:
Cause I know for sure I DON'T HAVE anywhere near 129 added hp! I think it would be safe to say I have maybe 10 or 15hp at the most.
A 129hp even on a stock 6.7 should set you back in the seat. IMO

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I guess I will be on the phone first thing in the morning! :banghead:
Cause I know for sure I DON'T HAVE anywhere near 129 added hp! I think it would be safe to say I have maybe 10 or 15hp at the most.
A 129hp even on a stock 6.7 should set you back in the seat. IMO
Oh yeah, give them a call. Something isn't right. You should be feeling it.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
hmmm maybe something wasn't right on mine as well. I could feel a slight difference but nothing crazy. 129hp increase as they claim was definately not present on the later software downloads. I know gearjammin6.7 mentioned slipping clutch on stage 3. Maybe they tuned it back down to prevent clutch slippage.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just got the dyno with my max energy hypertech.
On a dyno jet 25% load in Tow/haul on my aisin start at 2400rpm to red line.
First time I dynoed my truck I had pulled the butterfly valve out and unpluged the egr everything else was stock.
281hp 560tq.
I have since pulled the DPF off and put in my own foolers for it but not the pressure sensor everything else listed above is still the same. Stock 296hp 567tq
Stage 1 309hp 602tqs
Stage 2 348hp 675tq
Stage 3 373hp 733tq
I'm not seeing 129hp either and I talked to hypertech and they said well it's not a stock truck so the numbers aren't compairable.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I just got the dyno with my max energy hypertech.
On a dyno jet 25% load in Tow/haul on my aisin start at 2400rpm to red line.
First time I dynoed my truck I had pulled the butterfly valve out and unpluged the egr everything else was stock.
281hp 560tq.
I have since pulled the DPF off and put in my own foolers for it but not the pressure sensor everything else listed above is still the same. Stock 296hp 567tq
Stage 1 309hp 602tqs
Stage 2 348hp 675tq
Stage 3 373hp 733tq
I'm not seeing 129hp either and I talked to hypertech and they said well it's not a stock truck so the numbers aren't compairable.

Even oh hypertech stage 3 I don't think I saw a 77hp gain. It felt like maybe 40-50hp on stage 3 when I had mine.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
You cant even compare regular trucks to C&C's, they have 50 less HP, for one, if auto, totally diff. trans and I know they are a little heavier. I see where yall are coming from, 129 on C&C and not getting close is false advertisement, if you want to call it that. But my opinion is...... there are several different things going on with programmers, that no two trucks are going to except the power EXACTLY the same. Its like getting a stock 6.7, putting 300k on it with no issues vs. buying another 6.7, putting 300 miles on it and getting a check engine light, No two trucks are the same, the truck hypertech dynoed may have been a truck that came off the assembly line, "just right".

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I reinstalled mine today on stage 3 and can actually feel something and the lieometer jumped up to almost 18 with the cruise on 72mph! But the gain I am feeling does not kick in until 30mph and up, no low end gain and sure not 129hp as they state! And still not even close to the 81hp that Hypertech tech support quoted me over the phone.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hypertech, Inc. has a dyno for the 07CC aisin tran. Their stock truck showed 268hp. Mine stock with butterfly in intake and egr unpluged had 281 +14hp over their stock truck, then DPF deleted showed 296hp or +29hp over their stock 268hp. Now explain to me why I start with +29hp stock with my deletes and only end up with 6hp more max hp?
They showed 367hp on their truck stage 3 and mine only had 373hp.
I've continued to check mpg, by hand, and "might" be able to see 1mpg improvement with similar driveing.

·
08 Cummins
2,146 Posts
Like most all tuners, Hypertech is not advertising a +129HP gain at peak HP. They are claiming a gain of +129HP at the point of max deviation between the stock curve and their stage 3 curve. Since their dyno numbers are for a stock truck they will definitely be different than a truck that has been modified, escpecially one with the DPF gone. There is a chance that their truck could have been in a regen cycle while on the dyno which also could have affected their results.

My truck dyno'd 24HP and 26lb-ft better with the EGR unplugged an in a regen. The two runs were done on different dynos on different days so where was the real (if any) hp increase from?? There are just too many factors to really say. Unless dyno runs are done under exactly the same conditions it's very hard to compare dyno results.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Like most all tuners, Hypertech is not advertising a +129HP gain at peak HP. They are claiming a gain of +129HP at the point of max deviation between the stock curve and their stage 3 curve. Since their dyno numbers are for a stock truck they will definitely be different than a truck that has been modified, escpecially one with the DPF gone. There is a chance that their truck could have been in a regen cycle while on the dyno which also could have affected their results.

My truck dyno'd 24HP and 26lb-ft better with the EGR unplugged an in a regen. The two runs were done on different dynos on different days so where was the real (if any) hp increase from?? There are just too many factors to really say. Unless dyno runs are done under exactly the same conditions it's very hard to compare dyno results.
Yes I know they are going by the DIFERENCE to get 129hp
look at it this way also they gained +99hp from stock hp to Max hp on stage 3 from 268hp to 367hp +99. My epa modified only gains +77hp from stock to stage 3 truck 296hp to 373hp. They can't explain why just that the truck is different.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know it is not the same, but I have the max energy on my 05 5.9L 6-speed, and my stock clutch will slip bad on stage 3. I think the reason you don't feel the power is they advertise no higher egt's with their tuner, and to do this I think they don't have the power come in until later in the power band. That way they don't put to much fuel when the motor is really lugging, I love mine, and I leave it on stage 2 which is supposed to be a little over 100hp increase, and I can't make it get hotter than about 1200 degrees.

I think if you drive it more, you will notice the power coming in once the rpm's get going a little bit.

Here is a test a magazine did on the Hypertechs, some pretty good info
Untitled Document

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know it is not the same, but I have the max energy on my 05 5.9L 6-speed, and my stock clutch will slip bad on stage 3. I think the reason you don't feel the power is they advertise no higher egt's with their tuner, and to do this I think they don't have the power come in until later in the power band. That way they don't put to much fuel when the motor is really lugging, I love mine, and I leave it on stage 2 which is supposed to be a little over 100hp increase, and I can't make it get hotter than about 1200 degrees.

I think if you drive it more, you will notice the power coming in once the rpm's get going a little bit.

Here is a test a magazine did on the Hypertechs, some pretty good info
Untitled Document
I have been on the phone with Darnell trying to figure it out. Hpoe it's something simple.

A little off topic, COOL WHEELS YOU HAVE THERE!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts