Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking into hydrogen conversions, im in the process of converting my lawn mower. If all goes well, i picked up and car, and if that all goes 100% maybe ill think about touching my truck....

Just woundering if anyone knows any good sites, or has experiance in the convertions, building the generator???

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Full-on conversions or a electrolysis cell running off of your alternator?

·
Registered
11 Posts
http://www.fuel-saver.org/Forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3

give this site a try and you can get other links from there. Keep us posted on how it works on youre truck, Good luck, Kenny

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess i should have been more specific... hydrogen injection! I just want to have a simple generator under the hood feeding into the air intake. I wanna no if its gonna do any damage to my truck as far as engine longivity is concerned. I have a few cars to try it out on but none of them are diesels....

·
GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,246 Posts
try waterforfuel.com... i have thought about this many times, but then i wouldnt have my lovely black smoke... ill pay for the diesel... you have to have it, so why complain... just my honest opinion...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can still have your black smoke, just have the generator on a switch..... turn if off in traffic and turn it on when no ones around to inhaul it! The truck will still burn diesel, just not as much when the generators turned on.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
With a little electrolysis cell contraption, you're going to still be getting all of your energy by burning Diesel fuel. The hydrogen just... Does something... Theoretically... To give you better mileage... Somehow...

If you could prove a decrease in black smoke, then you'd have provided an explanation for what it (supposedly) does.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds good.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
IIRC there were several here on CF that bought a Mag HHO set up ( or something close to that name) and I don't recall any of them posting back that it worked for them or that they saw any increase in fuel mileage. So far the only ones who claim to get an increase in mpg are those who sell a ready made set up or the directions how to make one. It would be great if it works but I have yet to see any Proof that it works as claimed in a turbo diesel engine.

The hard part about Hydrogen is it takes more power to make it then you get from it, so if someone found a way to make it with less power then you get from it then everyone in the world would know about it all ready and we would have one on every car, SUV pickup truck and semi in the world.

JMHO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive been doin a lot of you tube watching... and a lot of people seem to have it down. One guy even clames his old ford V6 is getting 61mpg! im gonna keep on lookin into it, and if i can get it to work ( on the lawnmower first ) ill make sure to leave some feed back. I live way in the sticks, we dont even have cable or cell phone service so better gas milage would be pretty nice!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would say go for it. Weld a steel plate between you and the engine if you will be testing it. You can never be too careful. An acquaintance of mine tested hydrogen back in the 70;s or 80's for a college project. He also said that hydrogen burns dry, so it will burn up your valves. Unlike gasoline which burns 'wet' he said. You may experience ring and seal damage. Remember this was way back in the 70's when their cars engines weren't made as well and their methods of using hydrogen were virgin. If nothing else, you will burn up a lot of cash, waist a lot of time, and learn a hell of a lot about the future.

·
Registered
461 Posts
run that engine all day every day for a year before you . . . . to that cummins. Maybe you are looking at the first 30 mpg cummins!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I wouldn't worry about a steel plate... We're talking very small amounts of hydrogen, worst case scenario would be a blown headgasket or maybe it could accumulate and start a fire if you're running the cell with the engine off.

If we're talking pressurized hydrogen, then I'd recommend dual plates of steel around a layer of kevlar underneath a fire suppression system...

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm planning on putting a set up my truck over the 4th weekend. You guys have this all wrong about the Hydro. This burns hotter and 100%, meaning your motor will run cooler due to the fact that using 100% means that no wasted fuel in the chamber. Unlike gas or diesel this would be why the EPA wants cats and dpf's on our trucks. Also the generator is a small unit your talking about a little amount to mix with your fuel so it would be like running a 50 50 mix. These are easy to build Youtube is the perfect research for this. Not to sound like one of those conspiracy people but this technology is nothing new under the sun. Our government has just kept all of this under raps and thank you to the internet it's hard to keep everyone from talking. So I'll get off of my soap box now ...LOL but this is so stupid simple anyone can do it if you just do a little research.

·
Registered
186 Posts
These are easy to build Youtube is the perfect research for this. Not to sound like one of those conspiracy people but this technology is nothing new under the sun. Our government has just kept all of this under raps and thank you to the internet it's hard to keep everyone from talking. So I'll get off of my soap box now ...LOL but this is so stupid simple anyone can do it if you just do a little research.
:agree2: Multi billion dollar oil companies dont want to lose their money. They know if HHO were to be developed like it should, their business just became the next "dead technology". Just like if you or I, if we had a business that was in danger from a readily available, cheaper competetion, you bet your :butt: you would do all you could to keep customers. Oil companies with the help of politicians, are doing just that. Keeping the public in the dark by any means necessary. Label me "one of those conspiracy people" if you want. I like too find things out for myself, not what the media spoon feeds us everyday. They want ratings not facts. Im not picking fights here, just giving my opinion.

·
Registered
186 Posts
IIRC there were several here on CF that bought a Mag HHO set up ( or something close to that name) and I don't recall any of them posting back that it worked for them or that they saw any increase in fuel mileage. So far the only ones who claim to get an increase in mpg are those who sell a ready made set up or the directions how to make one. It would be great if it works but I have yet to see any Proof that it works as claimed in a turbo diesel engine.

The hard part about Hydrogen is it takes more power to make it then you get from it, so if someone found a way to make it with less power then you get from it then everyone in the world would know about it all ready and we would have one on every car, SUV pickup truck and semi in the world.

JMHO
Once again not picking fights:thumbsup
Hydrogen is the most abundant element on the planet. Finding an efficient way of collecting it shouldn't be that difficult, and I think that answer is staring right at us.(you could spend hours watching all the YouTube vids) In terms of an energy made/loss ratio. Think of the energy oil takes to produce. Drilling, transport to refineries, refining, transport to gas stations, then we have to deal with the crappy milelage we all get. Thats alot of energy never to return. I would rather stick a bucket outside in the rain and get my fuel that way:woot: HHO would solve many problems in our world. I just find it odd :w:that it seems to never advance. Im making a HHO cell, I'll get some pics up sometime. Its not hard or expensive, something you gotta try for yourself. Start with a mower or something for a test mule, then go from there. Hey its worth a shot, and you can stick it too the man as well:kill: sorry if Im rambling, its past my bedtime:thud:

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it is so easy and cheap to do, why will not make cars that run on hydrogen? Hey, BMW done that once and the engine alone cost so much, only a few celebrities could even afford to even lease the car. If it increases MPG so much then why is the hydrogen generator still unknown? go on Google and type in: BMW 7 Hydrogen.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
If it is so easy and cheap to do, why will not make cars that run on hydrogen? Hey, BMW done that once and the engine alone cost so much, only a few celebrities could even afford to even lease the car. If it increases MPG so much then why is the hydrogen generator still unknown? go on Google and type in: BMW 7 Hydrogen.
Chevrolet currently is testing hydrogen vehicles such as the equinox in big cities. Chevrolet | Fuel Cell Technology - Chevy Equinox Fuel Cell Car

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
There is no conspiracy keeping "hydrogen technology" under wraps. The only thing keeping electrolysis cells from becoming popular is the second law of thermodynamics, on top of really efficient modern engines.

Hydrogen cells only stand the possibility of working if they can decrease the amount of unburned hydrocarbons in your exhaust. Today's engines hardly have any unburned hydrocarbons in their exhaust... So how hydrogen can give great results by "improving" or "catalyzing" Diesel burn is beyond me.

Maybe hydrogen can work by increasing combustion temperature and burn speed, which would make the engine more efficient, but which companies don't do because of the NOx increases. Of course, if I wanted to do that, I would delete my EGR, advance my timing and cut out my catalytic converter...

Note that I'm not talking about cars running entirely off of hydrogen. Those are probably in the pipeline for the long term, and will really be getting their energy from the nuclear, solar, hydroelectric or fusion generator operating the electrolysis cell at the fill station. I'm talking about the people "running their engines off water" by having electrolysis cells in their conventional vehicles. Those people have streneous grasps on reality.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Begle1;700) Those people have streneous grasps on reality.[/QUOTE said:
:lol3: Thats a good one.:rof

1 - 20 of 20 Posts