Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 92 Dodge Pickup the previous owner said he installed an hy 35 turbo can anyone tell me a little about this turbo.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
the HY35 I believe is the stock charger on the 03's and 04's. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It's a 9cm, nondivided, internally wastegated housing. It tops out around 30 PSI of boost, about the fastest spoolup of any turbo anywhere.

They call them nasty nines.

That's assuming that he didn't mean HX-35, which is a lot more common and less extreme modification. HX-35's are good for 40 PSI with a 12 cm internally wastegated divided housing...

·
Registered
222 Posts
now why are EGT's controllable with the 9's on the common rails but they are a little to hot to run with any fuel mods on the 12 valves?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Common rails (and all 24 valves in general) have better flowing heads, better atomizing injection systems, better cams, and more-dynamic timing and fuel control.

·
Registered
222 Posts
so basically we dont flow enough air and dont have a good enough spray pattern to keep the temps down

1 - 9 of 9 Posts