Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at an HX35 for 100 bucks for my '90 manual but the wastegate on this turbo has been welded shut... would this be a problem? or should I go for it? I need some opinions on this one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, I was feeling a little nervous/wary about it myself... the guy said he got it off ebay like that, I think i will spend my money on a nonwelded turbo that I can at least buy a rebuild kit for

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you're fine... I was hoping to get some more insight on it... I mean my H1C doesn't have a wastegate, but it also wasn't built with one

G

·
I have seen guys weld the wastegate shut that were trying to get the absolute most boost out of those chargers so yeah it might be a short life unit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
u live in iowa? I used to live in Ames

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
With it welded shut it's going to be very high boost, high restriction. On a '90 with no intercooler and stock (original, even) injectors, you're looking at killer EGT's.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm looking at an HX35 for 100 bucks for my '90 manual but the wastegate on this turbo has been welded shut... would this be a problem? or should I go for it? I need some opinions on this one.

Welding the WG shut is going to let the turbo run wide open, full boost. If it's tack welded just grind it off. I'm sure you don't want 45+ PSI of hot air being pushed threw the motor.

One thing you could do, is add an external WG to your manifold with an atmospheric dump :thumbsup

·
Registered
661 Posts
im pretty sure your talking about me and yes it is a tack weld i got it off ebay cuz the guy said it was off a 97 12valve and it was a good replacement turbo well when i got it it didnt have the little wastegate head and the lil lever that comes out off the exhaust housing was welded thew only thing the guy was right about was the shaft being in good shape i was going to grind the tack off and source up parts to make a wastegate but a guy i know had another turbo and i just got that one off of him so thats why im geting rid of this one

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Not including fabrication costs, it would probably be cheaper to get an external wastegate off eBay for under $100 and use that instead of trying to fix the internal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts