Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to get as much use out of my hx35 as i can so i tried the wastegate mod. so far i can tell that it does help keep the EGT's from climbing so fast. I was able to do the whole mod in about one hour.

once the turbo is off the truck first take the plate of the side that cover the wastegate using a 1/2 wrench

that gasket is reusable just clean it up some before putting it all back together.

Disconnect the arm on wastegate using a small flat head screw driver on the Eclip.

once you have the wastegate disconnected you will be able to see the hole where you'll now drill out the flange.

using a 3/4 drill bit on a drill press drill the divider flange out so both sides of the manifold can now be wastegated.

make sure you blow the turbo out really good with airhose and inspec everything on the turbo while you have it off for cracks etc. here the hole throu the flange

Reactions: thehulk99

·
Registered
750 Posts
wqhat is the advatage in doing this???

·
Registered
631 Posts
seems like a disadvantage to me

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
He is trying to vent all 6 cylinders, The proper way to do this mod is to machine the wastegate valley out. i dont know that drilling the hole out will do much though?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
care to explain your thinking here? :confused:

I would have drilled the holes larger
How do you drill the holes larger when the wastegate cover is just slightly larger than the hole it covers.

You do the wastegate mod usually when you use the HX35 on the top of twin trubos....The way the exhaust side is laid out it is divided from the exhaust manifold, venting only 3 cylinders, you need to vent all 6 cylinders to properly vent the exhaust gasses to get the proper boost level that you want the gate to open at.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
How do you drill the holes larger when the wastegate cover is just slightly larger than the hole it covers.
with a larger drill bit? whomp! :hehe:

there's almost a 1/4" of contact area on the wastegate puck. You can drill the hole out a little larger, and it will seal just fine.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts

You do the wastegate mod usually when you use the HX35 on the top of twin trubos....The way the exhaust side is laid out it is divided from the exhaust manifold, venting only 3 cylinders, you need to vent all 6 cylinders to properly vent the exhaust gasses to get the proper boost level that you want the gate to open at.
I know why it's done... I was asking the guy why he thinks it's a disadvantage

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well just to chime in. there is a avantage to it nodoubt, today i pulled at a local tractor in edmund,sc and i was able to keep the EGT's from climbing so fast. I can tell it does help out even with just running the stock turbo. i would have drilled the hole out larger but i didnt have a drill bit bigger than 3/4., 13/16 would have been nice, 7/8's would have been pushing it..i wasn't sure about removing the whole divider, i didnt know if it would heat up and cold down to much and crack the flange on the turbo??

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
some people grind back the divider, but I think you'd lose the pulse advantage of the divided scroll... obviously you're going to lose some w/ the hole drilled.

I think you went the easiest route that's still plenty effective :cool:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats what i was thinking...well put drunk! im going to be running this turbo much longer anyways, working on a 6.7L turbo and using the VGT as a cable pulled exhuast brake. hrmm..i cant wait to see how it works out..im going to do a write up on it as well. Im sure theres going to be some smack talk over it, but atleast i have balls to try...*whoop

·
Registered
849 Posts
o i have been trying to figure out how to use a vgt for awhile they are so cheap on ebay someone could make alot of money if they figure this one out

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everything is in the mock up stage but im soon going to have it all figured out. ima try and get some kits made up with all the parts needed to do a swap..i sure that im not the 1st to do this but like we all know for some reason you can get these turbos a dime a dozen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts