Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NEW HX35 (56/60/12 i believe) I was going to put on to reduce EGT's over my HY35. Now thinking of going to a super b/s300 at around 57/65/12.

I don't want to go bigger as I want to set my wastegate at 38-40 so I don't need headstuds. But I want to reduce EGT's as much as possible (I already have H20) ...... as well as pic up any performance for the extra cost $$.

I have spoken with a few guys offline (thx - you know who you are) ..... but wanted more info. :S:
(turbo stuff doing my head - did consider a he351cw but not anymoore)

So what do you think - will I notice the difference ?? EGT's diff ?? Power diff ?? Worth it ??

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
I thought the Super B is a 14cm housing. And yes the Hx 35 flows a good 55lbs/min of air where as the Super B flows 61lbs/min. I currently have the Aurora 3000 and when it lights you need to hold on. It is a 59/65/.85AR non gated housing in which it flows 65lbs/min.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah think your right on the super B

I wanted an aurora ...... but its nonwastegated .....so worried about controlling boost ..... want to max it out at 38-40 psi .......

·
Registered
862 Posts
Id say just keep the hx unless you plan on doing more upgrades in the future. It should do ok cleaning up your 75 horse sticks. The super B would be better yes, but for the price is it worth the gain? Either one can be ran in a twin setup later if you plan to bigger. So many choices.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would you expect either to reduce EGT's anymore than a HX35 ?

·
Bleed All American!
1,154 Posts
i have a super b special (64/71/14) and its gated at 38lbs. egt's will not get over 1200deg no matter how hard I push it. but m' running 150s. you will need bigger injectors to run it. If I were you I would go with a 62mm do a little more searching. there is a thread that has gotten big on here about 62s. lots of good info on them.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yeah a 62 is a great turbo buy he would have to upgrade to somewhere around 150 injector to spool it. BTW how is the spool up with 150's on that special? Those seem to like big sticks to get them to spool right. To answer to OP question on the egts with the super b. Yes it help with the egts over the hx, but your probably not going to have a big issue with the 75's unless you run your edge on kill all the time. If your really worried about egts then the super b is going to be better and enable you to make more power, but its up to you on if thats a cost effective option for you. I dont know what you paid for the hx but your probably going to have to take a bit of a loss on it to sell it and then pay the added cost of the super b. If that is not a concern then go for it. The super b is a great turbo. There are also other companies that make a turbo with the exact specs as the super b but have a little cheaper price tag. Either way you go you should be fine. There are a bunch of guys running the super b and they are a great intermediate turbo. The next step up from there would be a 62 series, but you will most likely have to upgrade injectors to spool it. There are so many combo's and variables that go into a setup. Thats what makes these trucks so fun. I cant wait to someday down the road be able to get some bigger sticks and turbo. Right now im saving up for a good clutch to be able to handle the power. Good luck on whichever route you decide to take.

·
Hemi
12,666 Posts
The Super B is a perfect match for some 75-100hp sticks. :thumbsup:
If you want to cool your EGTs more then go with it. You can also look at other companies s300g turbos. I suggest Engineered Diesel.
It is 57/65/14.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah
ok - so basically looking at either

a

s300g (57/65/12) wastagated
ats3k (59/65/13) nonwastgated
superb (57/65/14) wastegated

Any real difference in them ????

I was really looking to do the he351cw swap. (60/60/9) ...... but after reading patracy writeup - think it might be a bit too much effort/fabrication. I live in an RV where we can't work on our trucks easily.

thx

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Ok, another theory is a Hybrid Hx35/40 (60/60/12). you can send in your Hx35 and they will adapt a 60mm compressor wheel to it. The last time I called it was just over $500 to do the conversion alone. you will still retain your factory 3" outlet. If you really want a 4" outlet you caould buy a Banks power Elbow and it would still cost less than a grand. if you decide to do the Hybrid I would open up the wastegate hole a little to relieve some more drive pressure when in opens.

Reactions: JohnFak

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
My exhaust temperatures were 1400F with 100hp Jammers, an HTT 60-60-14 HX35 hybrid and Comp on 5x5/wire tapped.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Jammers are a Dirty injector. Thats not bad temps for pass down the so called strip...lol.. I wonder what injectors he is running?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
75 CPP injectors. Pretty clean - little smoke even on PL10 with just a Hy35 and 32psi.

Might ring DTT and chat about the hybrid.

Just to throw something else in mix.

Holset HX40W Rebuilt Turbo 3538235 CUMMINS 6 Blade - eBay (item 330523809123 end time Feb-02-11 12:06:32 PST) ???

Man too many choices. Gotta see if I blew my h20 pump today comming back from mountains. Ran it dry ....... blew a fuse ...... replaced fuse ..... not working ...... hoping its just not primed or something ........ arggghhhhhh

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
Do you see yourself growing out of that setup down the road? Think you will ever wanna go bigger later on? I think a Super B is exactly what you need. A 62/65/12 would be great also. My brother runs a 62/65/12 with adrenaline and 75hp vco's. That truck is a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey jamie
Yeah ...... no plans to upgrade in future - due to if I go much further I would require (billet flex/input/output) and bigger injectors and headstuds/head porting etc

To much $$

So right now ......... looking at a few 2nd hand turbos (low miles) . Generally in the $600-$800 range give or take. If I had the $$ would just do studs, 125-150 injectors and a super b special ....... but aint gonna happen in any timeframe I can see:p

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
I hear that. A super B would be the ticket. You can always torque down your stock bolts to hold a little extra. A HX40 is too slow to spool. I don't care for them, seen too many fly apart back in the day.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
Hey jamie
Yeah ...... no plans to upgrade in future - due to if I go much further I would require (billet flex/input/output) and bigger injectors and headstuds/head porting etc

To much $$

So right now ......... looking at a few 2nd hand turbos (low miles) . Generally in the $600-$800 range give or take. If I had the $$ would just do studs, 125-150 injectors and a super b special ....... but aint gonna happen in any timeframe I can see:p
There was one in the classifieds with an HX40 down pipe IIRC for $800. Oh and the ATS A3k isn't a 13cm2 exhaust housing it comes in .76 or .85 A/R housing sizes which I believe are 12cm2 and 14cm2. Most of your 13cm2 housings are stainless steel.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Save yourself some money an put a he351, if your hard up on the super b just get a BW s300g and save yourself $300 bucks.
That's route I was originally looking at - but looks like too much fabrication to make fit ... Only cause I live in rv park and nowhere to do much work ....

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
Look up Jkidd who is a sponsor on here and ask him what all you need for the HE351 swap and he might have a kit you can get all together. For the money and reliability it's hard to beat the little HE351.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts