Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
hey yes it should bolt right up if it has a t3 flange wich id say it prolly does for the down pipe it depends on if it has the half marmon elbow or the v band style and it it has the v band you can make it fit the hx 35 will be around 1.5" longer so some how you will need to slide your exhaust back a lil...hope i helped?

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
If you don't want to play with the exhaust the hot side housings interchange from a H1C to a HX35. Just leave you ehxaust housing on and install the HX center section.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you don't want to play with the exhaust the hot side housings interchange from a H1C to a HX35. Just leave you ehxaust housing on and install the HX center section.
Does this help the stock turbo out? I still have the 21cm :eek: on mine and I need it to spool quicker. Its really dead on the bottom and spools like it full of molases in January.
DS79

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
Oh man get rid of that 21 housing. I normal do not recommend any exhaust housings under a 16cm. They might give you a faster off line spool up but you trade that for high end performance. Its a trade off on how you want the truck to perform.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I put a 12cm on my H1C but for the top end I put a HT3B below it! IT ROCKS!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
All I care about is that it doesn't get hot! I have had the truck 3 weeks and its only been driven 3 times without the trailer on it. Would the 18.5 or the 16 be better for mostly towing applications? I want to mod this up to the 300HP range so I need the mods to help me get there.
Thanks,
DS79

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
For towing I wouldn't go under a 16cm. That size is a good over all compromise. I have towed quite a bit with my 16 and the 18 it had on it stock. The 16 raised the EGT around 25 to 50 degrees at WOT. In normal towing mode I didn't notice it being a problem.

There are other improvements you can do to help towing also. That 90 degree elbow that feeds air into the engine is a big restriction. At towing speeds I noticed a 50 degree drop just changing it out to a 2000 24 valve air horn and installing a 3" IC tube from the IC to the air horn.

In the pic below the left side air horn is what yours looks like on the inside compared to one off a 2000 24 valve.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like I need to go to the salvage yards around here. Would the "cooler tubes" I seen on ebay be any better? Otherwise I was going to make one. One more thing, which years did the 16cm turbo come on factory?
DS79

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
The cooltubz are better than the 24 valve air horn. How much I can't say. (Yet) I have a set in the garage. But they are going on after a couple of other things get done.

If you want that guy's phone # on the cooltubz. PM me I do know him. He can also make the connector pipe for that 24 valve air horn. He made mine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds good, whats his # so I can get ahold of him and get some prices. So what years should I be looking for on the 16cm?
DS79

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
The 16 was not a size used in any appilication that I know of. They are aftermarket most of the time. Keep a watch on the for sale section. They do come up for sale every once in a while.

New your looking around $150 or so. Its been a while sence I priced one.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
15,575 Posts
16cm housings were stock on almost all of the fritolay p30 trucks with the 4bt's.

I didn't know that. Most of the ones I have been around looked like 18's on them. The ones I have been around were Gruman which is a chevy chassis.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What would you want for one of them housings? My gauges and Borgeson shaft just came today, so looks like I have a project to do this week:)
DS79

1 - 20 of 20 Posts