Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a 92 250 extended cab (club cab?) with 4x4. I've already got a 4" turbo back exhaust, Denny T stage 2 fuel pin in it with a 3200 governor spring on the way. I've also got my friend to "tune" my "smoke screw" and adjust the idle. I know this has probably been beat to death, but I ain't too knowledgeable with 12 valves. Anyways I was wondering if I would need aftermarket injectors and a aftermarket torque converter to run a HX35. I'm really not looking for a 600+ hp truck, just wanting some get up and go for the ol gal without blowing anything up lmao. Thanks! And if y'all could refer some good, reliable mods to do that would be great! Will be updating my signature soon

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's a good thing you aren't looking for a 600hp truck! You won't be getting it even if you did. Just joking with you. I have an HX35 on my truck. It's pretty much a stock bolt on minus the down pipe flange hook up. It will spool quicker than the stock turbo and keep things a little cooler up top as well.

I have no issues with it, it is the only other turbo I've run besides stock. I know there are better upgrades but it works ok.

Reactions: jbtsurf

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
The WH1C and HX35 are very compatible with each other.

1994 had WH1C turbos. I think on Jan 1 1994 they went to the HX35. I could be wrong and 1995 saw the HX35 turbo arrive. Either way the 1994-1995 automatic trucks still had the same 160hp 400tq rating with each turbo.

The 1994-1995 automatic trucks also had a 5x.0090 injector.

I would say you do not need a better tc to handle the HX35. You need a better tc to have a much more efficient automatic. The 2nd gen tc is about 65% efficient compared to a good billet tc at around 90% efficient. I doubt the 1st gen tc is any better.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I have stock injectors (for now) and a rebuilt trans with an hx35w. The hx35w cleared up a lot of low end smoke and cooled things down all around. I think it would do fine with a stock tc but the stock tc's rob a lot of power so if you want more power you might as well replace it.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Bigger injectors not required for HX35, but it will be happy with more fuel via your power screw (remove the safety collar first). :thumbsup:

IMHO, a quick-spooling turbo like the HX35 takes the focus off the smoke screw, pin, & starwheel adjustments as you're no longer hunting for that sweet spot to get the turbo to light without excessive smoke. I have a BD pin, but dialed it back some after the swap.

Trans temp gauge would be a good idea, because a low-efficiency TC and more power means more heat.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Hx35 also has a smaller exhaust side so it spools up quicker.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Is a HX40 any better?
Better if you have more fuel to throw at it... and I'm not aware of a popular OE application so you can get cheap used ones.

The 7-blade HX35 (98-02) is supposed to flow more that the earlier 8-blade variant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts