Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I have an 01 24v and noticed that my turbo shaft is a little slopy and seems to have a stiff spot when I spin it and its leaking a little oil, I would like to put a new aftermarket turbo on but its not in the budget right now so I was thinking about rebuilding the one I have, it looks fairly simple and affordable but I've never tore into a turbo before (I'm more than capable) so i thought I would see if anyone could shed some light on things before i get to carried away.

·
MRAP Extraordinaire
1,226 Posts
Don't use an impact on the wheels retainer nuts.

Soak the mating area of the exhaust housing and center section in penetrating oil. Mine took a few good blows of a hammer to get off.

Its a pretty simple job, have at it. Hopefully all it needs is a freshening up.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Reactions: 2001Belc

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've heard that before too, maybe someone will know if it needs to be balanced or not.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've heard that before too, maybe someone will know if it needs to be balanced or not.
Just figured id throw that out there as I didn't want you to go through the trouble of re-building it and have it pop in a short time.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I have heard both ways on the balancing thing. I can tell you that there are a lot of people on here that have rebuilt them and just made sure to install the wheel back in matching the same bolt holes they took out and ran them without ever balancing them.

If it were me I would just mark the wheel and make sure to reassemble everythin exactly as I took it out and then run it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts