Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF got me a 5" RSD pipe for Christmas. She gave it to me early and I spent the last 2 hours putting it in. (Great kit btw.) I went against what everyone else does with instals like this and opted to remove the 5 bolts that hold the elbow to the turbo. My thinking was, the 5 bolts are in blind holes, so there would be no extra exposed threads to rust and bind up, thus preventing breakage. The 2 bolts that hold the down pipe to the elbow looked to have long since become one with the elbow and I figured I was going to have to drill out the holes.

So here I am taking the bolts out, and as you have probably already guest, I broke some bolts. The top 3 came right out, but the bottom 2 (the 2 on either side of the waste gate) broke right off. One left about 1/2 inch sticking out, and the other broke off flush, maybe even counter sunk some. I tried to use vise grips on the exposed bolt but it wouldnt budge. To add insult to injury, once the elbow and down pipe where off the truck, I hit the bolts with an impact and they came right out. Perfect. Like they had been taken out a week prior.. :banghead:

So now that you are thinking I am special, retarded even, My question is this: Do I pull the turbo off, take the exhaust housing to a machine shop and have them drill the two holes and install larger bolts/studs? Or do I need to find a used exhaust housing? I see that most good used HX35 turbo are running about $250. I dont really want to spend money on another HX35, but I dont think I am ready to drop coin on a HX40, or special.

Ideas?

this is a picture of a random hx35 I found on the interweb. The 2 bolt holes on the left side are where my problem is...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Depending on how much they charge ya, it.may be better to get a different housing. That much heat on the housing, are there any cracks near the wastegate flap?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on how much they charge ya, it.may be better to get a different housing. That much heat on the housing, are there any cracks near the wastegate flap?

No idea..:confused013: I didnt think to look that hard at it. Truck has 226k on it.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Take it to a machine shop, have the old broken bolts removed and threads chased (clean the old threads with the correct tap) and take 1 good bolt....they'll know what you mean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.