Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
got...DIESEL? said:
controlled by a wastegate actuator
Chris
Are you sayin you want that spare waste gate I have?:T: Oh wait that's right I forgot the gt4288 isn't wastegated so you'd use the big head for the experiment?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
YUP! I'll keep you in the loop.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not yet, still trying to decide whether I'm gonna fab up a variable turbine with the 1.22 on the 42, or keep trying to source a smaller housing.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Hey I found one on ebay, its a GTA4294http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garrett-GT42-GTA4294-Turbo-Turbocharger-Diesel-like-new_W0QQitemZ250026500829QQihZ015QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's wastegated.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, but that charger is WAY bigger than what Got...Diesel has. It's 71mm S400 size...like a K31;)

They do work well on a nitrous assisted drag truck though :D :D
Chris

·
Registered
110 Posts
The GT42-94's would be good to maybe 500 on a 12v...you might be able to squeeze more out of it with timing and some fancy wastegating....but it's a little smaller than the standard S400's. It will spool better though.

Right now, we're using one on a 4400RPM 12v w/Nitrous. Spools about 2200RPM, and ran an 11.80 in Atlanta. Only fueling mods are Laser Cuts, 370's, 4K, and cut plate. Also running a H2 Cam!

A GT37/GT42 combo would be a sweet spooling set of chargers, but I THINK they would be out of steam before you made 550 on a 12v...but who knows. The Garretts aren't used very often on Cummins.

I'm gonna give it a shot once I get a tranny...only I'm aiming a little bigger;)
Chris

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
yeah, I've given up on the 4288 for a secondary. With us moving in 6 weeks I don't wanna re-invent my secondary charger system and in light of no favorable turbines for it, it would take a pretty extensive re-work and R&D time to get it right. So my plan is to leave the 35 on top with it's modified turbine, and an unmolested BHTB3 on bottom (or side LOL). This way when I pass through Vancouver, I can dyno a 160 pumped, budget twinned truck to see just what the combo is capable of. I'm pretty maxed out everywhere that most guys would do with a budget in mind, so this test should be the end-all for the small pump, easy twin applications. So let's hear some horsepower guesses (always a fun Q) for #2 only, and then squirted with methanol. I'm hoping to crack 500, and would be happy with anything above or around that for now. Once we're settled, the march will continue.

oh, and BTW.....back to the original post, a thin bead of high temp silicone sealed up the compressor fine....but without caging the retaining ring with machine screws, the tendancy for it to pop is still there. I check it now and then and it does move around some with the high pressures.

Chris

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im having the same issue except it the exhaust housing putting black smoke everywhere and wont spool

21 - 32 of 32 Posts