Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 H.O. NV5600 DANA 80S bilstien 5100's hx35w e/boost elbow E/ATT/JUICE BHAF 4IN MAGNAFLOW
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK so recently I got my hands on A HX40 to build a hybrid out of my 35. 1st thing I did was separate the HX40 down to basically the turbine shaft with a compressor wheel Off. Once that was complete I went to cleaning the Turbo as best as I could and and had a spare HX35 cartridge laying around. Once the 40 was apart I put the comp wheel from the 40 onto the 35 turbine and shaft reassembled the 35 shaft and 40comp whel on to the hx40 catridge.after that i drilled and tapped the housing of the 40.once that's was done i built a bracket out of some metal I had laying around shped it with a bench grinder anvil and torch [(it was cast steel) i figured best for rigidity of the options i had laying around]on the lower forward most Turbo Stud(the mount also has a small tail that runs down the back of the flange so it doesnt walk). Once that was complete II mounted it all up here are some of the photos from the building and I'll put more more information on how it runs and once I get to drive it; but as of right now it definitely whistles a lot more I know that don't matter too much but I imagine that that means it's making more boost call me retarded I'm good with it here is the photos. Thanks for looking happy to amswer any questions

also i did not use the Chinese whirlybird exhuasthousing or turbine shaft i used genuine holset for somereason someone had put a turbone housing on a legit 35w ntsure why not that i even used that housing but i know folks here are at times critical lol thanks seemed easy in theory but all in all took two days (i took my time for fitment and fit and finish) was a fun a$$ lil project!
Gas Art Metal Motor vehicle Auto part
Shoe Dress shirt Textile Sleeve Grey

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,534 Posts
I have a hx40 hybrid, the compressor is 60 8 blade and exhaust is 64 12 blade with a 82ar housing. It's a whistling turbo but doesn't perform better then my hx35 so I don't use it anymore.

What is the specs of yours now?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

In the future, you really should have the new compressor / turbine assembly properly balanced, especially with such a small shaft. Whistling definitely does not mean the compressor is making more boost.

Reactions: 9297oldram

·
Registered
2001 H.O. NV5600 DANA 80S bilstien 5100's hx35w e/boost elbow E/ATT/JUICE BHAF 4IN MAGNAFLOW
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK so been in the truck a couple days I have the wastegate actuator down a couple screw pre install it was 27 psi max with the boost elbow check the sig for truck deet's but now I'm making good boost at 1100 maybe 1000 maintaining 30thrpugh every gear and it has improved drivability by light-years no more two stroke feel no smoke on I believe factory bosche sticks and when I do upgrade injectors I'm going mild like 7x.009 I will trade the 12cmexhuast housing out for the 14 for heat issues.
Mind you that the truck has the factory exhuast elbow and 3.5 inch down pipe stock manifold honestly it barely whistles its more whoosh then whistle and my wast gate isn't barking egts are Lil less I haven't hit 1200 one time and I did two full pulls to 105 mph. The biggest thing I notice it the bottom end it's noticeably diff there is no power hit everything seems very linear and the turbo I tore down to build was balanced when I say whistle I don't mean like thrust bearings are going out and I'm banging the sides of the comp housing. It just seems to grab more air I'm sure due the the taller inducer and larger diameter I wasn't expecting much but this is like I said a very noticeable improvement over stock. Not to mention the fact that I have the travel on the actuator lengthy I'm pretty sure I'm going to tighten it up. From the oe dowel pin I'm two full turns under when the hx 35 was on I was 3 5 turns over the dowel same distance from the gate arm. Just for reference the trucks 2 stroke behavior is gone I have a few bike and now it feels like the 79 long nose Pete I drove just pulls soon as the pistons start pumping air if I go bigger for 1000% I'm gonna go a super b but the performance I have now has me more then please I'm not looking for a rac truck. Just easy to drive 400hp I know I'm in the 3's but it seems as though my 1250-1350 power band has been exchanged for an electric motor. I live it if you a broke mf like me and money's tight I would say do it. Biggest thing I would recommend is taking a couple days to do it and polish everything to a mirror inside being careful not to remove metal just smooth it the turbo didn't like the factory surfaces on the truck before me but it spools quick lost 100degrees on egt in the same housing with a choked down pipe and elbow. Ima turn the arm down 1.5 turns tomorrow and see where that gets me boost wise cause I think 35 is more then possible and comfortable and that's maxing my fueling out. Does not sound like a fancy 40 but it's really close really realy close. I got lucky with the 40 it had just been rebuilt and it was waaaaay tight then the almost new 35 cartridge I think I'm going to take the housing off again soon a ramp the lips more and get it Shiney cause the over cast on the ag 40 was atrocious.

Any ideas on how to get 35 without cranking the actuator arm would be much appreciated
Should I get an adjustable elbow
Should I unplug map(pray edge has my back)
Does ramping the intake mouth on the 40 actually benefit me
Anyanswers would very appreciated thanks for looking 👍

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a hx40 hybrid, the compressor is 60 8 blade and exhaust is 64 12 blade with a 82ar housing. It's a whistling turbo but doesn't perform better then my hx35 so I don't use it anymore.

I wanna say it's a 58/86 but I measure the nose front most part of the comp wheel and the rear most side by side they were almost identical besides the 40 being taller at the nose and wider at the bottom it was a t4 8 blade comp 12 blade turbine only performance I've noticed before correcting the gate is low end is much better so off idle and mid not gonna muv much air with a 12cm housing my 35 was not building 32 lbs on the edge ever but the hybrid did it first drive drive pressures are lower according to the manual boos gauge why I think elbow gotta get tighten is why 30 is max plus 6 speed truck gotta be in gear clutch out or it won't build boost not sure if it's relevant just bitching

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm pretty certain it's an 8 blade and the comp was a 68, not sure about the whole ar thing but this turbo flows more air at lower pressures from what I remember readying and although it doesn't make more but because the way I have the gate set it flows what seems like volumes more air at the bottom being that it's a 6sp make driving it way better think I have it set to 25#s rn but just got a he351cw to go under a s475 so **** should be pretty saucey here right quick. Piecing kit together gunna try and get the hot side done in the next couple weeks really trying to get everything clamped or v bands make it easy af to change it I need more bottom or top need sticks first though but I know compound whirlybirds make good power with low Temps and it doesn't hit like a 250 brapper on alcohol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So thus far great still cause I'm a jack wagon have yet to fix exhaust bolt cause we'll quite frankly I have no idea. But love it Def nee to ditch the 12cm turbine housing for a 14 chokes at high rpm . . . Well right before edge d fuels also egts went up gunna lengthen the actuator see what happens fun side project while compounds are being built which will be he351cw under as457 got the he, need a big boy though so if any one has one fore sale holler at me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanna say it's a 58/86 but I measure the nose front most part of the comp wheel and the rear most side by side they were almost identical besides the 40 being taller at the nose and wider at the bottom it was a t4 8 blade comp 12 blade turbine only performance I've noticed before correcting the gate is low end is much better so off idle and mid not gonna muv much air with a 12cm housing my 35 was not building 32 lbs on the edge ever but the hybrid did it first drive drive pressures are lower according to the manual boos gauge why I think elbow gotta get tighten is why 30 is max plus 6 speed truck gotta be in gear clutch out or it won't build boost not sure if it's relevant just bitching

I have 0 idea why I wanna say it's like a 68.5 or 69 but could be me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Measuring sat and will probably have it for sale Sunday cause he351cw is going on in my quest for 35psi from what I remember it a hx35w/hx40t4w geunie holsets wastegate actuator and matched exhuast waste flapper I'll figure out a price unless someone sends me a solid offer

Reactions: 2nd cummins

·
Super Moderator
24,534 Posts
Measuring sat and will probably have it for sale Sunday cause he351cw is going on in my quest for 35psi from what I remember it a hx35w/hx40t4w geunie holsets wastegate actuator and matched exhuast waste flapper I'll figure out a price unless someone sends me a solid offer
If you want to sell it you need to list it at the Classifieds Section.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to seel it you need to list it at the Classifieds Section.
I understand this being a how I'm still using it penalties means I'm not selling it yet but if Simone comes across this am follows me when I post it to classifieds they'll be notified if they're any thing like me takes a few day to hide money from my wife. . 😅

Reactions: 2nd cummins

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey so wiredbthe gatebshut still cat get more then 27 out of it getting some tips from dap soon maybe more fuel will turn Dat hoe probably just reiterating for no reason but hey thought ide throw it up for peer review

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you check for boost leaks? Just making sure

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I must have a major one somewhere I'm still showing 21 lbs maybe that's why the 35 felt like poo I'm rebuilding a cbr and a AMF road master rn so soon as I wrap them up it's back to that plus my truck is smoking a lot has to be a big one somewhere>boost leak<

·
Vendor
8,942 Posts
27PSI might not be too little. You do not have extra fueling from injectors. Bigger compressor wheel and exhaust wheel usually = lower boost #'s, more flow. What elevation are you at?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
27PSI might not be too little. You do not have extra fueling from injectors. Bigger compressor wheel and exhaust wheel usually = lower boost #'s, more flow. What elevation are you at?
3 ft above sea lvl that's what I thought it feels Like it's faster but my psi is lacking

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
He's around 100 to 200 feet above sea level if he's still in willows

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
I'm basically beachside without the beach sac river flood plain in rice country

1 - 18 of 18 Posts