Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have heard of a "hybrid kit" for the hx35 which gives you a fast spool time of the 35 but will handle more boost like the hx 40 i told this to our local diesel guy and nobody at the shop had ever heard of it and we r talking like 10 good ol boys who have been through a diesel once or twice if you no what i mean. so is there such a thing as an hx 35 hybrid kit

·
Registered
214 Posts
Shud i go with the 6 blade or 8 blade?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I had the six blade. Loved that turbo. I had a 14cm housing, and it spooled like crazy and did 42psi.

·
Registered
173 Posts
will this kit bring the boost on any earlier in the rpm range????

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sorry, but I don't remember.:confused013:

·
Registered
558 Posts
How did it sound after the upgrade?

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Louder, but not a cool when it's slowing down. On the 35, after it was back to 0psi, the whistle would rapidly change pitches and it was cool sounding. Didn't do that anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
wht exactly do i have to machine to make this work?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't want to hijack but I have been trying to get some info on a bigger exhaust housing on a hybrid for a while now. Anyone have any experience with a 16 or 18.5? How was the spool? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I remember reading in an old tdr that the 18 really wont help that much but the 16 will give you fair spool up and lower egts

·
Registered
460 Posts
What exactly has to be machined onthe stock housing? Does that mean the whole turbo has to come off the truck to do? And is there a benefit to the 8 blade over the 6 blade? The 8 blade is out of stock

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
yes the turbo has to come off. it has to be machined so the hx40 wheel will fit but i think you can do it your self. i wish someone would post pics of the part that needs machined.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For 250 bux it seems a very worth while mod and hell of a lot cheaper than a new turbo

And any pics of what gets modded on the turbo would be great I think this would be a great compliment to the 100 hp inj I have and will soon be installing

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
8 blade are either a 56 or 58mm wheel and 6 blade wheel is a 60mm wheel

·
Registered
214 Posts
yu sure they dnt make both in a 60???

·
Registered
460 Posts
They say they make 8 and 6 blade 60mm

·
Registered
906 Posts
i got the 35/40 and it works just like the cats meow.its tame and builds all the boost i need
now if i could only get the fuel thing sorted out.....
those guys at the diesel shop are R&R guys apparently cause it is a turbo that was never a production piece
be sure you get it balanced

·
Registered
460 Posts
So what gets machined on the stock turbo?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts