Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an EMS offroad kit to install, ball joints and seals. i have seen a picture of the hub bearing removal using a socket on an extension. can't remember exactly what for. any info?
jon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Put a socket and extension on one of the 9/16 bolts that hold the hub assy in. Turn the steering wheel so that the extension pushed against the knuckle. Sometimes that will help push the bearing assy out.

I personally dont do it that way. Just a BFH, a prybar, some PB, and a little patience.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
just got the drivers side off. it just came off when i loosened the screws. the previous owner had installed bearings several years ago from auto zone, you know they're junk.
one thing - i have only done the drivers side so far. i pulled the axle out w/the bearing unit. i loked inside - there was some white creamy looking grease all around the inside, like water contaminated fluid/grease & some sandy grit. i wiped as best i could near the outer end, but can still see some gritty looking stuff in the greasy slimy crud down towards the seal. i am going to try to make some kind of big q tip and swipe best i can. but i just don't want any of that grit to get p'd/u on the axle shaft when re inserted. the passenger side will have a CAD delete, one pc. i cleaned and hosed everything down before opening anything including the CAD cover and exterior of axles near u joints to get rid of as much grit as possible. any advice on cleaning and reinserting w/o picking up grit? to be safe, after i'm all doen, i will change the fluid to get everything as clean as possible.
jon

·
Registered
197 Posts
when i do my wheel bearings in my 94 ( which is often, ctd and large offset wheels arent a good combo) I use a 9/16" socket... a long 1/2" extension... and i beat on the bolts with a 5lb hammer. works like a charm everytime! Just make sure you have enough thread in the wheel bearing so that you dont damage the threads. You can give your friend a beer and convince him to hold the extension for you! i did that once!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
no more junk hub unit bearings on mine

the EMS offroad kit is $895 (compare to the cost, not just labor for the constant replacements of the weak hub bearing unit:$:) or so, CAD delete another $300. Dyna spin kit costs almost $2000. you can get other HD features - heavier splines, ect. it comes w/old fashioned Timken tapered wheel bearings (service able and replaceable for $40), a longer spindle (meaing the bearings are further apart). all excellent quality parts, and Warn hubs, upgradeable to the heavy duty version. comes w/brake rotors installed too. i'll save almost 2mpg by unlocking the hubs, smoother on the highway, less wear and tear, much stronger front end. :thumbsupthe only thing i give up is no shift on the fly, for the 3 times a year i'll use 4wd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts