Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

hub and knuckle grrrrrr

786 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  David_411
ok i did my driver side ball joints and u-joint and had to beat the piss out of the hub to get it off the knuckle with a sledge hammer. you can imagine the destruction to the bearings haha so dumped another $358 into a new hub assembly. my question before i do the other side is is there a way to get it off? i soaked it with pb and dont wanna use the torch more than i need to to prvent srewin up the bearings. please guys any advice is helpful

oh and i torched off the ball joint studs and took apart the u-joint to get the axle shaft out
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,187 Posts
all i can say is when you put them back in, where the hub slides into the knuckle put some grease or some anti seize on it to make it easier next time for removal.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all i can say is when you put them back in, where the hub slides into the knuckle put some grease or some anti seize on it to make it easier next time for removal.
oh believe me i smothered that s.o.b. with anti sieze lol

· Registered
79 Posts
OTC 6290 is the tool. Google it. You could make one if you have some steel and a welder.

It bolts to the lug nuts and pushes the axle shaft and pops off the bearing.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
theres a steering trick 2....you make a bracket put it behind start the truck and turn the wheel pushe's the bearing right out
i read about that but using a socket or somthin similar

· Registered
577 Posts
use a puller, tap it and pull and tap. over and over.. also use a cold chizzle between the hub and knuckle and hammer it all around. just go easy.

· Registered
508 Posts
snap-on, matco and lisle tools all make that little socket like tool for popping the bearing out. i think they usually run like $60 bucks. or you can try the puller, but with the puller on be careful not to mess up the axle shaft end or the axle seal so try to keep everything straight as possible. if you have an air hammer you can always put some tension on the hub assembly with the puller then hit the hub from the inside with the air hammer. sometimes that works (can also heat it up first with that torch then hit it with the air hammer). theyre a pain man! good luck!

· Registered
1,405 Posts
Press it out with the power steering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.