Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have HPP tuning do you notice the torque converter locking in 2nd, unlocked 3rd, locked 3rd, unlocked 4th, locked 4th, etc when in tow/haul mode? It doesn't matter which tune I select, with tow haul it locks and unlocks constantly. Without tow/haul on the converter never locks until 4th gear that I've seen, and the truck shifts great, but I like the downshifting in tow/haul mode much better. Just wanted to see if you've experienced this.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get that, but should it be locking in 2nd gear? That's the part that I don't understand, it's like the transmission is confused when in tow/haul mode.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
That's something newer I know some of the tuners were messing with. How old are your tunes? Originally the torque converter didn't lock til 4th but then they figured out how to get it to lock in 2nd. My tunes are about 2 months old but my truck is down at the moment or I would check mine for you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Converter locked = cooler trans temps and more power to the ground. Definitely helps pulling when in town.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
My truck, even stock would lock the converter in 3rd. Without tow haul on. And with it on, it just drug out that 3-4 shift longer with converter locked. Maybe because My truck is heavy. When I tuned with Jonathan, it took that 3rd lock out, in normal mode and made the truck feel slower because the power wasn't getting to the ground like before. I had him re write the 3rd lock in the tune and it was much better. My tunes are old and don't recall 2nd lock in tow haul. Most everyone's tunes don't lockup until 4th in regular mode....I wonder if it's better on the trans?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2014 has been tuned by HPP for a year now with trans tuning, and in tow/haul in 2nd gear the torque converter will lock. When not in tow/haul it will lock in 3rd gear. I've flashed the ecm 3 different times and each different tune has been this way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my tuning in December. I did notice it lock in 3rd when not in tow/haul yesterday. I don't tow heavy currently so maybe if I put some weight behind it the truck will feel a little better in tow/haul. Based on the posts above it sounds like what I'm seeing is pretty normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts