Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy ...

Yea that's what I thought when I saw this secret swich on the fly hptuners option.
Like most I liked the option of switch on the fly tunes like I had in stockish truck era with my bully dog, and then edge cts. I started upgrading my truck with basic bolt ons, bigger turbo and injectors. And felt that I could run cleaner, and lower egts with custom tuning. So I purchased hptunners with firepunk tunes. They helped with with both. But I was never able to data log to get it set perfect,as [email protected] said i would have to use the race tune to data log.(I said I would never use the race tune and ask for a mpg tune but was ignored)

So long story short while happy with my 2 fire punk tunes, tow and street . I miss the days of towing the toybox filled with toys to the dunes and swich on the fly to a fun street tune and have fun. A lap top and 15 mins to switch tunes has gotten tiresome and something I never did unless I was in my driveway.
A few weeks ago I heard of optimal weldings 6 position swich on the fly tuneing(Link below). And honestly got excited at the thought of it being real. So I sent an email, ask some questions. And 420.00ish USD for 6 custom tunes and a switch shipped its ordered. Once the swicth gets here from Canada, I will give you guys more info and a review.The tunes are waiting in my email. I have not been paid or given a discount etc, I am a little excited/apprehensive as it sounds to good to be true but we will see.

So I Received my gold swicth in the mail, plugged in and downloaded the tunes late last night. Headed out on vacay so could not drive really test, or data log. There was big a a difference in the sound of 12v tune vs 24v tunes...More updates to come soon

List of tunes * I* requested (yes there more than just 3 set tunes)

1 1st rule of #1 tune dont talk about #1 tune. ( custom Customer request)
2 12v street
3 24v eco/mpg/clean
4 24v tow
5 24v street
6 24v race

Other options I know of
valet tune,
12v race,
Stock,
Launch control

https://optimalwelding.com/collections/engine-management/products/6-level-switchable-tunes-for-03-07-cummins

Conclusion from months later.
They run great I am supper happy.. the 12v street tune is cool to drive around with, the sound diff is crazy vs the 24v tunes. I mostly drive with the 12v street tune, the 24v mpg tune has increassed my mpg about 1 to 2 mpg mixed town freeway(no long test drives yet) It's nice having a fuel economy tune and tow tune and a street tune at a swich of the knob. I haven't towed with it yet but I expect good things. The street tune is great as well my wife said it was fun and drives like a fast car(makes me happy) Only issues I am having is traction, I'm not kidding ( combination of new trans and tune) might have to look into a air locker or something.. my limited slip is not cutting it. I have not used the race tune a will most likely get it replaced with a different fun only tune...

I HAVE YET TO TOW HEAVY WITH THE TOW TUNE BUT WILL UPDATE AFTER I DO.

So far so good, if your thinking of getting hp tunes look into optimalwelding. I wish I would have found him first and saved alot wasted single tunes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank goodness, I was wondering if anyone had tried them out yet. Looking forward to following this. Thanks again!
I just stumbled upon this option, and could not believe there's no info about it. I searched alot prior to buying hp tunners and tunes. I had hoped the edge cts2/hptunners switchable option would eventually be a great , but nothing but issues from people from what I have read. And more or less gave up on switchable tunes... until now! I'm hopeing for the best ..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep exact same situation, couldn’t tell you how but I found the website and it looked like a great option. I’ll keep an eye for when you get it in, post some pictures if you don’t mind. Best of luck man.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Interesting... Please let us know once you get it, what your impressions are... I'm a little leary of something like this, but honestly, I am not sure why.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've heard of these "tunes" for a while now. I've seen his Youtube videos and have read a little bit about what he offers. One thing i'm curious about is. What's the point of having "12 valve" tunes? Seems a little odd to run such a tune on a 24v CR?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I've heard of these "tunes" for a while now. I've seen his Youtube videos and have read a little bit about what he offers. One thing i'm curious about is. What's the point of having "12 valve" tunes? Seems a little odd to run such a tune on a 24v CR?
Because everybody knows 12 valves are life. Every Common Rail tries to be cool, but even a 12 valve tune is a pitiful effort at becoming the best.
Too many wirez and sensor-mabobs.

Jokes aside, I have a friend with an '05 I'll be passing this along to. Always nice to see an improvement for the older trucks.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I heard its some thing like its a single injection event, where the stock Common Rail events are three for 5.9 and I believe up to 4/5 on 6.7

Maybe some one with more knowledge will chime in..But I do know it changes the sound of a 24v to sound like a 12v.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I have one tune and it works no problem.

The switch tunes are just one tune with the cells reduced or blocked off.

There still isn't true 5 different tunes for switch on the fly tuning.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I heard its some thing like its a single injection event, where the stock Common Rail events are three for 5.9 and I believe up to 4/5 on 6.7

Maybe some one with more knowledge will chime in..But I do know it changes the sound of a 24v to sound like a 12v.

Yes that's exactly what it is. The injector solenoid fires once instead of having a "pilot" injection. It sounds different because you can hear the diesel noise more. A lot of people call them 12 valve tunes but to me it sounds more like a vp pump 24 valve.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I am curious if it will work on an 03 or 04. No one has been able to do it due to the small memory on the ECM. Always wanted switch on the fly but so far, no one could do it.
Yes it will work on the 03/04 trucks. The Optimal welding guy's dually is a 03 I believe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Like stated, he did all his experimenting on his own personal 2003. I was going to make the trip to his shop and get mine all set up a couple weekends ago, but work got in the way. I will get this done this summer though.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received my swicth in the mail, plugged in and downloaded the tunes late last night. Headed out on vacay so could not drive really test, or data log. There was a a difference in sound of 12v vs 24v tunes...More to come soon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can someone help me with information on which air intake is best for catching dirt besides oiled and which intake manifold elbow is best I keep getting pointed in the direction of afe or sinister

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can someone help me with information on which air intake is best for catching dirt besides oiled and which intake manifold elbow is best I keep getting pointed in the direction of afe or sinister
If you had a question it would of been more constructive to either search the forum first or start a new thread. Most people agree with sticking to the stock box or modify it, plenty of experienced members have posted opinions and data to justify.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts