Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
me and my friend was talking and he was like what hp does your truck makeing and i was wondering if anyone has had this set up on a dyno 5spd full cut d valves 4k gov timming at 18 and a j plate stock hx35 pushing 58lbs of boost set of 35 destinations mts??

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
58 pounds on an HX35 with full cuts? Sounds like a setup that could end with some interesting results...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what im wanting to know lol i know its out of its mapping but not going to put a bigger one till i pop it its but running this set up for over a year they guy that put the govs in a d valves in thinks it has injectors ????? but idk it was a farm truck when i bought it and it had 181 dvalves when he took them out and had them cut

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'd say you have potential to get up around 400hp if you could limit your boost to about 40psi and tune the living crap out of it. 58psi is WAY too much for the hx though, even at 40 it's being pushed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i know its under turbo but like i said run it till it snaps and then go bigger

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the gauge ran in the turn down right at the back of the turbo the hottest ive ever seen it get was like 1450 after turbo when i was raceing my friend running about 115 120mph

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
You'll make more power at 35 psi than you will at 58 psi. If your goal is to blow that turbo, keep doing what you're doing. I'm surprised it hasn't let go yet. If you want to make the most of what you have, dial that turbo back to 35-40 pounds like NC Firefighter said. You could have 350+ hp. But at 58 psi, I'd bet you're losing 25 hp or more.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
i have the gauge ran in the turn down right at the back of the turbo the hottest ive ever seen it get was like 1450 after turbo when i was raceing my friend running about 115 120mph
So you're reading after the turbo? If that's the case then your pre turbo temps are probably somewhere around 1700deg. It's always better to put the probe in the manifold than the downpipe.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
holy crap im surprised you havent burnt that thing up yet LOL

1450* after the turbo is pretty dang warm, and that much boost on the lil 35 is only making it worse.

FYI, dont think that youll just replace the turbo when it grenades. You can guarantee that when it grenades youll be picking crap out of the intercooler for a week. Not to mention if anything passes through the intercooler, your looking at a rebuilt engine...

Dont be a retard, play it semi-safe if you want to be cheap ;) :)

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
holy crap im surprised you havent burnt that thing up yet LOL

1450* after the turbo is pretty dang warm, and that much boost on the lil 35 is only making it worse.

FYI, dont think that youll just replace the turbo when it grenades. You can guarantee that when it grenades youll be picking crap out of the intercooler for a week. Not to mention if anything passes through the intercooler, your looking at a rebuilt engine...

Dont be a retard, play it semi-safe if you want to be cheap ;) :)
Is what I wanted to say, but wasn't sure how to say nicely. Thanks ykdave!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Yep same here. I'm all for pushing things but if everybody else only goes so far there's usually a reason.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
1450 after the turbo? Your motor and turbo are really determined to live. Most motors wouldn't have survived this much torture for this long. I don't know how you haven't popped a hg, grenaded the turbo, or melted down that motor yet.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
More boost is more boost, and it will make more power, but hp per pound at that boost is waaaay down from what it would be at a sane level.

If you're trying to blow it just to blow it, it's not a good idea. And that's coming from someone that's had to pull imbedded metal out of top of the pistons. It get's real expensive. Especially when it takes out the intercooler on the way to the engine $$$$

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Boost is a measure of restriction, not exactly the measure of air flow (pounds per minute)

Tell me how youll make more power running ~40lbs/min of super heated air @ 50psi vs ~60lb/min of reasonable temperature air @ 35psi?

Air FLOW makes power not restriction or super heated air!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think the point is more boost will make more engine power, but the parasitic loss through heat and added drive pressure negate any actual gains.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
I think the point is more boost will make more engine power, but the parasitic loss through heat and added drive pressure negate any actual gains.
More boost (on the same turbo) results in less air flow and higher intake air temps when your that far out of its map

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i wonder what the drive pressure is like? LOL

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Boost is a measure of restriction, not exactly the measure of air flow (pounds per minute)

Tell me how youll make more power running ~40lbs/min of super heated air @ 50psi vs ~60lb/min of reasonable temperature air @ 35psi?
It
Air FLOW makes power not restriction or super heated air!
Put a truck on a dyno, set fueling so that it will make 50psi with the gate tied shut. Make a run. Now adjust the gate so that it makes 35psi. Make another run. Compare the two runs.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
You can go ahead on that one...

I dont think their are too many people out there dumb enough to strap their truck to the rollers and run 50lbs on the lil hx35 (and live to tell the story) LOL

That is so far out of its map its not even funny!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts