Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is an example of why not to use fender flares. I bought my 08 mega cab with these smooth fender flares already on them. So I`ve wanted to take them off and check the body, plus I want to sell them off and get the pocket fender flares. So these flares have rub a grove through the clear coat and through the paint and in a few areas into the metal. the rear is alot worse than the front. So all you body/paint guys whats the best way to fix the these areas?
Thanks for any input! Sldo once I repair it is there a good way to protect it if I put flares back on?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Gonna have to feather it quite a bit, its not exactly a cheap or easy fix.

Edit: Just re read and saw you are putting new flares on, prime the bare metal and call it good. Id put some kind of closed cell foam tape between the plastic and the metal to keep it from rubbing again.

Reactions: loghomeman

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sand it down and blend paint from there to the rest of the panels, probably will have to etch primer if its down to bare metal a competent shop can do it and match it very well. If you want your pocket flares painted this is the time for that too lol

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`m going to get a ram air style hood and some bushwacker flares and have a custom flame paint job done, after I sell off my 02 f250. But i do want to get this fix right and do whatever it take to protect it down the road! Thanks for the input!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
if you put another set on get some clear tape!
put the flares on.. get some pin stripe tape and mask around the flares like a 8th inch above the flare with the pin stripe tape than take your flares off and put the clear tape right under the pin stripe tape

i did this to mine. i had to paint my bed and fenders from it being rubbed through from the previous owner having flares on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
also if you dont wanna spend a ton of money on getting it painted i would get some touch up paint that will help if its rusting and make it look 10 times better

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Unfortunatly that's what happens with these types of flares. The plastic is to thin and with road vibration they tend to cut a grove in the paint. In like the oem flares they are only fastened at the bottom of the wheel wells with screws. To eliminate this you need to use a thin strip of 3m two sided tape on the weather seals that meets the paint. That will bond the seal the the paint and get rid of that sawing motion but will make removal a little bit o a chore. Now on to paint, you'll have to sand smoth right down to were there's no more grove. Etch prime the bare metal, add a little 2k primer same again, blend in some base paint and recoat the whole panels. Lots of work... There's a little more to it than that but you get the gist of it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!! I will have a PRO fix it!! I`m going to do some custom painting on the truck any way so it should be to bad for the painter to fix those areas when he paints it! I will put some of the clear protectant film and the double sided tape on the new ones to prevent as much damage to the new paint when its done. I will have to treat it as a maintanence thing take them off from time to time and clean and retape and check for damage! Thanks for all the great info!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.