Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! i need some help/info on how to tune up my dads 93 dully. its all stock with under 300,000 miles. with the numbers i put together, i hand calculated hes getting about 13.3mpg and getting about 200 miles pr 1/2 tank. i dont know these older motors like the 3rd gens but know that some people are getting upwards to 20mpg. thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
advance the dogsnot out of the timing... loosen up the AFC to bring the fuel in sooner without excessive smoke. this will allow him to make more power in lower RPM vs. having to wrap out the engine to make power

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet ill start there! i printed someting a while ago about adjusting the pumps and boost and what not ill have to find it!

·
Registered
916 Posts
straight pipe, bigger air filter, if its auto get a good converter

Reactions: mstoaks

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any adjusting tips? what screws how much? trrying not to spend money just fine tune existing parts. if im being unrealistic in acquiring a higher mpg please fill me in!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
The afc is on top of the pump with 4 screws holding on a cap, heck look on youtube, theres a vid showing how to advance the timing and another one showing how to rotate the fuel pin and adjust the AFC.

Reactions: mstoaks

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great ill check that out! what about adjusting the tps? or throttle linkage?

·
Registered
916 Posts
no adjustor's for the tps i think u would have to use a potentiometer or what ever they are

also wouldn't hurt to turn the full power screw up about 1/2 turn or 1 full turn will give more power if he needs it otherwise as long as he doesn't hold his foot to the floor every time it should help mpg

·
Registered
916 Posts
no adjustor's for the tps i think u would have to use a potentiometer or what ever they are

also wouldn't hurt to turn the full power screw up about 1/2 turn or 1 full turn will give more power if he needs it otherwise as long as he doesn't hold his foot to the floor every time it should help mpg

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He drives like a grandpa! is it best to make these adjustment while the truck is running?

·
Registered
916 Posts
He drives like a grandpa! is it best to make these adjustment while the truck is running?
no
adjust 1/4 turn at a time rev it up listen for rpm hang i doubt u will get close to runaway but just to be sure

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice! i figure if i can get him even a couple mpg extra then its better then what hes getting!

·
Premium Member
20,475 Posts
Always keep air filter clean Drill 3-4 1.5" to 2" holes in the front of the air box it is very restrictive. Free flowing exhaust. If it still has original injectors it's time for a change. Put a fuel treatment in like Power service, it will clean and lubricate.

·
Registered
916 Posts
forgot to mention that yes if its over 200,000 its time for new injectors wich will help the mpg probably the most

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wheres the best place to get factory injectors?

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's his dd so not sure about the rebuild. Injectors are kinda cheap for these 12 v. One for my 3 rd gen is as much for a set of 12 v.

·
Premium Member
20,475 Posts
You can get injectors at Cummins usually pricey. E-bay you can usually get good deals. Any diesel shop. Try google ( 93 dodge ram cummins injectors) probably get results. I got some at a local diesel shop this summer for my 92 for around $400.00 for a kit.

·
Hide your cats!
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oddly i can get them cheaper at the dealer then through cummins. havent checked ebay.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It might give it it better mileage but you don't have to change them, mine has 350,00mi + on my stockers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts