Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys got a 97 12 valve with a wicked wheel II and she white smokes every time I stomp the gas pedal. So how can I check if it's injectors or turbo or rings?

·
Registered
858 Posts
white smoke is generally from coolant in the combustion chamber. Or pre-detonation with extremely advanced timing and massive amounts of fuel. since your sig says nothing special we can rule that second one out.
I would start with a block test and pressure test on the cooling system. 12v's are common to have head gasket deterioration at the 5th and 6th cylinders. generally they leak coolant externally but it can go both ways.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's not what I wanted to hear lol but I guess that's be better than having to re ring it or buy a new pump. I'll check that out sometime this week and see what the results are

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Have someone staged on the roadside to smell the exhaust plume.
I would not have been so fast to eliminate timing/fuel.

The smell would tell the tale.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm 99% sure it's not my head gasket because my coolant level has NEVER been low. It's been full for a year so thAts not my problem. But my pump is covered in sludge so I can't tell where my timing is. I do need to tune it tho because it black smokes when I take off but I never have time to tune it. The exhaust smells like raw diesel

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The smoke is not on start up its after it warms up and I stomp on the pedal. It does have a massive lack of power tho. It's a slug

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Can you clarify when you get white smoke, and when you get black smoke?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I first crank up she puffs a little black smoke and when I stomp on it while it's still cold it's black smoke. After it warms up and has been driven for a bit it starts getting gray when I stomp on it and occasionally it's pure white when I stomp on it

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sounds like slipped timing to me. How many miles are on the injectors? Does the engine get up to normal operating temp?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure on injectors but the engine itself has 302xxx and she will get to op temp but only for 3 minutes at a time and when the thermostat opens she drops like 30-50 degrees immediately. It goes up and down all day long.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Temp fluctuation is normal. I'd be looking at timing next.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok your talking about the little lines on the pump and the timing cover and see where they are in comparison to each other right?

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
Ok your talking about the little lines on the pump and the timing cover and see where they are in comparison to each other right?
Prior to posting something completely too funny, I suggest you take a look at the link I gave you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok I'll take that as a yes. Thanks for all the help there buddy.

·
The 10th Man
4,367 Posts
Ok I'll take that as a yes. Thanks for all the help there buddy.
That's actually a no.

How to test Injectors, Turbo, or Piston rings:

1. Replace old worn out turbo in question with a new one.
  2. If problem persists replace old worn out injectors in question with new ones.
  3. If problem persists try a larger turbo, or even two.
  4. If problem persists install different injectors, something that will complement your new air delivery system.
  5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until your significant other catches on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh ok I'll just get out my check book and buy a 2500 turbo and 1200 injectors and then put a 3000 compound turbo on and 1500 upgraded injectors. Cuz that's how you test stuff, just buy new stuff. I just want to know if there was a way to test my injectors and see if that's causing the white smoke when it's warmed up or if my idle is too low or my air to fuel ratio is off or what. I can't afford to just throw parts at it

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
I love your attitude..NOT! Failing to look at and read the link I gave you indicates you are also too lazy to use the search function to research the questions you ask. Injectors can be tested for pop pressure and leakage at any Bosch certified shop, not to mention the multitude of injection shops that have sprung up in the last 10 years. All the info you are looking for has been covered many times in this and other forums.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum - Search Forums

One of the things you will find is air to fuel ratio in a diesel engine is totally different than a gasser.

·
The 10th Man
4,367 Posts
To test your injector you need to pull them and have them pop tested. You can usually get it done fairly cheap/free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts