Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
I'm a rookie and new to the diesel biz. :banghead:
I have a 07.5 Dodge 6.7 with a 3.73. It has been a good truck so far. It is an extra vehicle and I don't drive it much(15,000 mi). I recently bought a 5ver with a weight of approx 10k. I get about 14 city and 17-18 highway MPG empty. I am only getting 9.5 towing and it doesn't seem to have as much towing power as I would think. I have NEVER seen it go into re-gen. Is it possible/probable my DPF is plugged up and can I force it to run a re-gen/clean? I have an old gas Dodge pulling a 7k lbs 5vr and can get 8-9 MPG. The dealer doesn't want to do anything since my diesel doesn't have any codes. I do swear it has never re-gen since new?? They did have to replace turbo at 14k miles and clean EGR. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
9 is pretty bad. it kinda depends on how you drive where you drive and the fact you do not have deletes. I took all the DPF crap out so i guess i really wouldnt know but how do you know if it was in regen? With my mods i can get 24 highway (empty) 18 city (empty), with my boat 4600 pounds w/trailer 22 highway/city, with my weekend warrior pull behind (13K +/-) i get 16 on a good flat highway run and 10-12 in the mountains. I have never calculated less than 10 pulling anything or driving stupid.

But i never towed before my deletes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
All,
I'm a rookie and new to the diesel biz. :banghead:
I have a 07.5 Dodge 6.7 with a 3.73. It has been a good truck so far. It is an extra vehicle and I don't drive it much(15,000 mi). I recently bought a 5ver with a weight of approx 10k. I get about 14 city and 17-18 highway MPG empty. I am only getting 9.5 towing and it doesn't seem to have as much towing power as I would think. I have NEVER seen it go into re-gen. Is it possible/probable my DPF is plugged up and can I force it to run a re-gen/clean? I have an old gas Dodge pulling a 7k lbs 5vr and can get 8-9 MPG. The dealer doesn't want to do anything since my diesel doesn't have any codes. I do swear it has never re-gen since new?? They did have to replace turbo at 14k miles and clean EGR. Suggestions?
It's not clogged or you would be in limp mode. Unfortunately this is what most of us experience with these new 6.7's. You get great towing capability but poor fuel economy because of the emissions. The only solution seems to be deleting the emissions. Maybe eventually they will improve diesel emissions control systems like gas engines. Until then either delete or live with poor mpg's. :banghead:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I pull an 11m lb Trailer and on a recent trip of 2500 miles to Fl. and back I averaged just over 13 mpg hand calculated. Will be heading into the Rockies late June , will be interested to see what I get then.
Besides my modest mods I run with the egr unplugged. That alone improved my around town mpg's almost 3 mpg.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I pull an 11m lb Trailer and on a recent trip of 2500 miles to Fl. and back I averaged just over 13 mpg hand calculated. Will be heading into the Rockies late June , will be interested to see what I get then.
Besides my modest mods I run with the egr unplugged. That alone improved my around town mpg's almost 3 mpg.

I did the cold air, DPF delete, EGR delete, and edge all at once and gained 6-7 MPG over stock empty. and honestly i was scared about buying a truck with 3.73s but im glad i did as it doesnt even think about not having enough power. deletes>:buttkick:<YOU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts