Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have only dun one pull in my life and i know i did it wrong. but do you have to have the tcase in 4L and do you need to run it in second gear if you have an auto on a truck like mine in my sig? just wondering what some of you have dun.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
not ever pulled an auto, but a bud of mine did , he stuck it in low, hold brake, make a little boost, let off brake, tach out, shift to second, when you start getting to the end and start bogging down, downshift back to first. .

I'm sure some guys with auto's will tell you exactly how to do it.

·
P-Pumped Beast
843 Posts
4 low always, turn the OD off and put it in DRIVE. dont build boost, building boost breaks parts, instead pay attention to rpms, bring rpms up to about 2500 and let off the brakes, with a stock turbo you will have no problem getting the sled moving and building boost when you take off.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks you guys for that info. i cant wait to pull over at the ag center in carroll county. this should turn out better than the 176ft with the truck in 4H. also what level should i put my edge on when pulling? should i put it on tow or extreme?

·
Registered
847 Posts
What about a manual?? I have never pulled before and I think I might give her a run this summer!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
What about a manual?? I have never pulled before and I think I might give her a run this summer!!
put in 4lo and try 3rd gear. if not then go to second. bring rpms up ride clutch out

·
P-Pumped Beast
843 Posts
ok thanks you guys for that info. i cant wait to pull over at the ag center in carroll county. this should turn out better than the 176ft with the truck in 4H. also what level should i put my edge on when pulling? should i put it on tow or extreme?
looked at the schedule and carroll county ag center doesnt have diesels from what i saw. if you have any other info like dates etc please let me know.

·
Registered
67 Posts
With 4.10s I would try 2nd high, or being your first pull probably 3rd low to get use to it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looked at the schedule and carroll county ag center doesnt have diesels from what i saw. if you have any other info like dates etc please let me know.
they dont have a diesel truck class or street truck class but last year after the tractors pulled i saw a bunch of people driving trucks up to the sled so i got mine and you have to pay i think 15 dollars to pull. but i woulnt up being 4th out of like 8 or 9 trucks and i wana do better next time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys i got an 06 ram with the 6spd if i put it in 4lo and takr off in third my tires wont be turning very fast like maybe 25 my gears are big got any ideas for me

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
i run 4th gear 4lo i might give 2nd gear hi or 5th low a try this summer with the twins and the new injectors

Reactions: DieselRiot

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
well i got 227 in 4HI in second.... cant wait to try 4LO...think i will get farther???

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
did you run out of power in 4HI? i tried 4hi last year and i couldnt get rollin

·
Your Delightfully Ginger Kentucky President
3,758 Posts
Ran 5th low last night and hit 276. Box bottomed out and my boost dropped quick. I have 3.73s, so im a little lower than you second gen guys. She was like a rocket for a while in that gear though, took off at 45psi and she held at 55 till the box hit. I think 4th low might be the trick for a few extra in the end.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
4 low always, turn the OD off and put it in DRIVE. dont build boost, building boost breaks parts, instead pay attention to rpms, bring rpms up to about 2500 and let off the brakes, with a stock turbo you will have no problem getting the sled moving and building boost when you take off.

Umm, if you have it @ 2500 rpms with the brakes on you ARE building boost!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts