Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how are you guys checking your oil. I mean the manual says the best way is to let it sit overnight, then check it. Or, wait 30 minutes after shutting off, then check it. The problem is that I am getting two different readings. If I let it sit overnight, it's at a little below the full mark in the normal range. If I wait 30 minutes and check, it's way overfill.

I don't want to do any damage with too much oil, though I'm still on the oil that came in the truck new with only 3500 mi. on it and haven't added oil or anything. I initially thought my oil level was rising, but turns out I was just checking it at different times. BTW this is my first diesel so still learning.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I have changed my oil several times. I haved drained oil off. I have added oil. Mine has never once been in the safe zone. Always shows way over. Now I just add what is called for and go from there accordingly.

Reactions: Nashbash

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Ok, I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how are you guys checking your oil. I mean the manual says the best way is to let it sit overnight, then check it. Or, wait 30 minutes after shutting off, then check it. The problem is that I am getting two different readings. If I let it sit overnight, it's at a little below the full mark in the normal range. If I wait 30 minutes and check, it's way overfill.

I don't want to do any damage with too much oil, though I'm still on the oil that came in the truck new with only 3500 mi. on it and haven't added oil or anything. I initially thought my oil level was rising, but turns out I was just checking it at different times. BTW this is my first diesel so still learning.

You should be able to check it either way, after sitting overnight, or after letting it sit for about 30 min, and you should still be in operating range... The reason for letting it sit is so that you give the oil time to drain back into the oil pan for an accurate reading. The reason some of you are getting way over full is because you still have your dpf on and your truck is performing REGEN cycles which has been known to get fuel in the oil, which will raise the oil level.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hot oil expands so the same quantity of oil will read slightly higher when it's hot. I do agree that the oil level tends to creep higher over time. The only plausible explanation is the regen cycle is putting fuel into the oil in some manner. I plan on having getting a sample and having an oil analysis performed to see how bad the dilution is when I have my oil changed next time. I'm not too worried about it though.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I usually check mine after running the truck. That way I know it isn't overfull at any time. If you are within 1/4" of the high mark while the engine is cool you should never go over the mark, at least mine doesn't.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the thing, mine does go past the high mark when warm. When it's cold, like leaving it overnight and checking in the morning it's about 3/4 of the way up in the normal range. I guess 12 quarts of oil really expands alot when warm. I'll just do an oil change and only fill it to the full line with the engine warmed up so it's never over, like LRCanon said. And I'll keep an eye on it to see if it rises due to the DPF...while I still have one. Thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You guys check your oil? I always thought that was the dealers job after he changed it...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing that looks like a garbage can under your truck causing you to get sucky fuel mileage

·
Registered
72 Posts
What???

DPF putting fuel in the crankcase??????????????????

·
Registered
479 Posts
DPF putting fuel in the crankcase??????????????????
No, but the injectors fire an extra pulse of fuel into the motor on the exhaust stroke when the DPF starts to get full and needs to be burned clean. Some here have speculated that a little of the extra fuel washes off the cylinder walls and gets into the oil pan. The "proof" is that the oil level gets higher over time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I check my oil before startup each day (I drive 500 - 600 miles per day) and I use only 11 quarts for the oil change. The oil level is just below the full mark and I never get an oil smell while driving like I would sometimes get when using 12 quarts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I check my oil before startup each day (I drive 500 - 600 mile per day) and I only use 11 quarts for my oil change. My oil level is just below the full mark and I do not get an oil smell that I would wold sometimes get when using 12 quarts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry guys for the double post. I did not realize the first post actually posted.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I check my oil before startup each day (I drive 500 - 600 miles per day) and I use only 11 quarts for the oil change. The oil level is just below the full mark and I never get an oil smell while driving like I would sometimes get when using 12 quarts.
Do you ever check it when it's warm? If so, what is the level at.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you ever check it when it's warm? If so, what is the level at.
I did a few times when I was using 12 quarts and the level was higher than when the engine was cold. And I thought that was strange. When I had my Ford 7.3 the warm level was always down from the cold level.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
The manual says that the "Change Oil" notification will come onto the overhead early which mine did due to driving habits. I think it even mentions regens but I am not looking at it now. Only a couple hundred miles to my second oil change so it looks like it is going to be a normal interval this time. Would like to see the algorithm the computer applies to reach that determination of change interval.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts