Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1993 silverado k3500 with a 91 non-intercooled cummins 12v and it smokes like crazy. I can't even give it 3/4 throttle without blowing out a ton of smoke. The guy I got it from told me the pump was tuned. So how do I make it smoke less?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
mess around with the star wheel back out the smoke screw and maybe turn down the fuel screw a bit Start with that stuff. But also do you know if anything else was done to the truck ?? Does it have injectors or a different turbo ??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mess around with the star wheel back out the smoke screw and maybe turn down the fuel screw a bit Start with that stuff. But also do you know if anything else was done to the truck ?? Does it have injectors or a different turbo ??
I don't know where any of that stuff is. This is my first cummins. It has a different turbo but I'm unsure about the injectors.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
did you buy it from someone on the sight? Can you track him down? Reaso is we can show you where these controls are but for some reaso I have this gut instinct that it has a afc delete or no pin. Which would cause it. but also in the mean time ease into the throttle. with all diesels you should do this. you are slowly adding fuel allowing the turbo to spool with you. You can't drive them like gassers and just hit half throttle instantly - ease into it and you will be amazed what your fuel economy does too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I didn't. Got it off of craigslist and the guy didn't know much about it. I have had other diesels and they don't smoke like this. I can't even pull my trailer without it smoking on take off.

·
Registered
233 Posts
were do you live, try searching this site for ve pump tune up mods, to give you an idea of how it gets done, then you will understand how you can turn down the fuel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a search and I can't really find anything. Is there like a screw or something I can turn so it won't smoke?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You are getting black smoke rite? Just wanting to make sure.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
No I didn't. Got it off of craigslist and the guy didn't know much about it. I have had other diesels and they don't smoke like this. I can't even pull my trailer without it smoking on take off.
Might need new injectors also, but MOST likely someone screwed the smoke screw all the way down and turned the starwheel all the way down. People are sometimes mis informed and think black smoke is power the more smoke the more power. which obviously is in correct.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes it's black smoke and a lot of it! I can't even rev without getting smoke and it has a light haze of black smoke at idle. It has tons of power though, I can burn the tires in 3nd gear. I'll post a pic of the pump when I get in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said this is my first cummins and I don't know anything about them. Is it normal for it not to have any power at 2700? It's fine up to about 2700 rpm and then it's nothing. Then engine will rev to 3000 or more just sitting but It doesnt have any power past 2700 in gear. (I have an nv4500, btw) Just to be clear, when it smokes it's always black, there is never any white smoke at all.

·
4,002 Posts
maybe you should just hang around here for awhile and read, alot of your questions will be answered without you having to "pull teeth" in your own thread

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
ya or look in the forums in the first gen section on all the sticky's there is info there about stuff just look in all the sections you will find useful sticky's at the top of each page.

Post a pic of the injection pump,your turbo, and a video if at all possible

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Like I said this is my first cummins and I don't know anything about them. Is it normal for it not to have any power at 2700? It's fine up to about 2700 rpm and then it's nothing. Then engine will rev to 3000 or more just sitting but It doesnt have any power past 2700 in gear. (I have an nv4500, btw) Just to be clear, when it smokes it's always black, there is never any white smoke at all.
LOL, your engine hates you. It's a diesel not a gasser. Your making max power at 1600-1700 on a stock engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help guys. I will post some pics and a vid of the pump and turbo tomorrow. Another thing is the speedometer doesn't work. The truck is a 93 chevy but has a dodge nv4500 and transfer case so is it possible to get the speedo working?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You might just have to put a chevy VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in it and maybe a ratio box depending on the gearing to get the speedo goin. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Like they said, do some reading on this site. I'v learned a LOT on here.:thumbsup:

Also, go ahead and fill out your sig so we know what the truck is, and whats done to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How would I put a chevy vss in? Does it go in the transfer case? Is it possible to do?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts