Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2002 cummins extended cab short box auto trans 4X4 125k miles.

First of all i would like here if its worth it, should i go with this truck or find a 3rd gen.

The dealer wants 15995 for it which i think its pretty dang high. It is really clean looking from the pictures and has 3rd gen rims with a somewhat bigger All terrain tire.
How much would you offer. The 2nd i like the looks but will they with stand being worked hard every day? Also i will end up driving 5 hours for this truck if i go with it.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
First off when dealing with dealership I like to point out ever little ding, dent, scuff and scratch on a vehicle. Anything you see that you dont like point it out, be an @$$ hole about it. Then shoot them a lowball offer. I bet they dont have 9k in that truck and if your trading something in they will try to screw you. Offer $10500 out the door and go from there.

·
Premium Member
16,203 Posts
IMHO skip the 2nd Gen '99-'02 and get a 3rd gen or 12 valve.
That price is too high, typical dealer ploy.
Money's tight, it's a buyers market right now.
Trick that has always worked for me is if they don't accept your low offer walk away.
With a dealer they will always end up chasing you down. Sometimes they even wait till you're just about to open your door and drive away before they come running.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
There are 2 1998 12v in the eBay section for less than half of that. I would go that route or find a third gen.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats wrong with the 2nd gens? I will be replacing the lift pump and injection pump anyways probably.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats true....

·
Registered
168 Posts
make him drop the price way down, if not go for a third gen., I bought my truck almost 3 years ago before they were coming down on prices dealer wanted $26,500 for an 04.5 with 58,000 I argued with him and told him I wouldnt pay anything more than $21k out the door, he quickly said ohh I cant do that, i just told him ok Im buying a truck today but it looks like it wont be from here, I turned around got as far as walking out the door and he came running back, needless to say I got it for $20,500 out the door.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm...maybe i can argue the price real low...

·
A Couple Diesels
3,099 Posts
if your willing to spend $16K on a truck ... if youu up it to $20K you can find alot of newer(better) trucks with alot less miles..... plus with 125k miles on it your gonna need a trans $3-4K

Morse is selling his truck which tows/ daily drives and runs the 1/4 mile @ 11.5 for $15K.... (this truck has a large list of new mods as well) FYI.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im not really looking to break the bank...looking to spend at least less then 20.....the less money the better but i need to get something that doesn't have over 150k on the clock and is reliable.

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
You should be able to find a nice 3rd gen truck for under $20k or you can get a nice 2nd gen for closer to $10k. There is nothing wrong with a 2nd gen 24v, if thats what ya want go for it. I couldnt be happier with my 98......well if it was a stick but thats got nothing to do with the 24v.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I just saw a truck similar to the one you're looking at but it's an 03 for 8500. I would shop around.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
where did you see this truck at..., how many miles did it have?

·
Registered
849 Posts
here is a few things you can say that will drive them nuts ask them what will they take or there best offer ect. when they tell you it say "thats not good enough" say nothing else. the salesman will be sitting there thinking what is good enough as long as u stay quiet he will keep lowering the price almost garenteed there is a few reasons to this most people that go on a car lot will buy a car that day he knows the minute you drive off his lot you will go somewhere else and buy one at another lot find all the problems and point them out but you want to keep quiet for the most part :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey thanks everyone for there opinions...now i just have to decide if i want this truck or a 2005 i found for 21k which way to high for as many miles as it has on it...95k.

·
A Couple Diesels
3,099 Posts
TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!!!

Don't rush into buying a truck- you can find good deals
Remember a mile is still a mile on ANY truck!!!

Fyi- my 06 I picked up for $22,000 with 26K miles and still under warranty
- my other 06 I picked up for $28,000 with 8K miles (fully loaded)... truck sat on dealer lot till Jan 08 (truck still has 1.5 year B2B warranty)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, i have been looking for about 5 months, must this month i have been really gettin at it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.