Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the main mod that I can do to a bone stock truck to lower egt's?

I can hit 1300-1350 pulling our fiver (9,000 lbs) through some of the hills of Ky and Tn. I have no problem pulling the hills, hell I've got throttle to spare, but the egt's get up there on some.

Is 1300 to high? Some have said yes, and some have said no, it can run there all day long.

I was thinking about the smarty jr, but really don't want or need more power. Possibly a better muffler for more flow?

Give me some suggestions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
open up the air flow......different intake, or gut the stock one...also put on a BHAF

straight pipe the exhaust or put on a free flowing muffler.

mod your tone ring, or get a Rokktech Adj. CPS.

where is your egt probe? from what I have read cummins says 1350* is fine and that is measured post-turbo, so by more reading that would equate to around 1550-1650 pre-turbo.

correct me if I am wrong here guys.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Intake, Exhaust, or you could drop a gear and get the RPM's higher. But IMO you can run 1300-1350 all day long with no problims. But thats just my .02

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probe is pre-turbo.

I did drop a gear. It's a 4 speed auto that dropped to third with the converter locked up. Tranny gauge never got above 165 and water temp hung at 200-210.

So you guys think 1300-1350 is safe?

I guess I'm worried because of the people telling me that's too hot. Alot of my buddies have their trucks set to defuel at 1350.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
IMO 1300-1350 is just fine as long os you dont go much over that for any laingth of time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
There are a ton of stock trucks with no gauges running balls out, the engineers set it up to not blow up. I figure if it is stock run it and it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I Think Cr Motors Can Sustain Higher Temps Than Vp Trucks...i Could Be Wrong

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imo your best mod for lowering egts the most is a water meth injection kit, your pretty much guaranteed to drop around 200* and pick up hp and fuel mileage at the same time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
water meth is best suited to a stock truck with moderate temps (up to 1400).

look into a wastegate fooler, exhaust, intake, intercooler (200 degree drop with BD intercooler).

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
first put a smarty jr with the 04.5 up software and load tow into it this will lower your egt by 200* and increase fuel milage next change the cam to a pdr this will lower it more and give 2+ mpg get cfm+ and grid heater delete , change turbo exhaust housing to 14 mm or change turbo , do turbo back 5" with donoldson m90535 this will make lowest egt and best mileage

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
what is the hottest it can get before you start melting down?? my probe is after turbo

·
Registered
212 Posts
My probe is pre-turbo and with the mods in my sig and the Smarty on level 9 I can haul my 5th wheel (11,000 lbs) through the mountains in Jasper National Park and rarely see EGTs over 1200. Most of the time that was in 6th and 5th, one particularly steep bit in 4th. I have the stock muffler.

The melting point of Aluminium btw is 1220ºF and as some parts of the engine are made from aluminium alloy........

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
The best mod to keep your EGT's low is Water/Methanol Injection....It is set up not to let your EGT's get over whatever you set it at...Hands down the best mod. And a upgraded untercooler will drop your EGT's by up to 250 degrees.

·
T-BONE
987 Posts
The "magic" number to keep it below is 1250, but I've had mine up to 1450. The main thing is to just give your turbo time enough to cool down before you kill the truck.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, all great responses, thanks for the tips guys.

I'm going to look into doing something in the next couple of weeks. I'm leaning toward the smarty jr as an easy way out, but may look into the exhaust route as a cheaper option. I still have a lot of warranty left that I don't want to tamper with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts