Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are about to go to $5.00 or better a gallon for fuel, I need to get the most MPG's out of my truck. I drive 100 miles a day and 16 MPG just ain't good. You can see what I am running and maybe I need to either add or subtract something to up the MPG's. What have you done to get better mileage?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Basically, I drive like I don`t have any brakes. Slow down to catch as many green lights as possible and drive under 2,000 rpm as much as I can stand it. Helps a little.:$:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Getting rid of those 305's would help a bunch too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another is to keep mph to 70 or less doing that improves alot also.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Personally I run my smarty on 5. I went from 17.4 mpg to a dead 20. Everything else stock. I see you have the JR versoin are you running the 100 HP setting?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I run my Smarty Jr on the 70hp setting. Have you seen aan increase in mpg on the 100hp setting?

·
Tennesse Chapter President
1,614 Posts
If you keep your egt no higher than 600, and boost below 10, it helps alot!! Ease into the throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
i have the same experience as these guys. with smarty on level 5 and keeping my rpms under 2000 and easing into the petal, be slow away from lights and have stock size tires and no lift. i get 20 even the little lift in the front can hurt mileage because it causes more drag on your truck as for as wind resistance. i also have the 6 speed and i think that helps

·
Registered
212 Posts
All of the above x2
Ease into the throttle, treat it like you are walking on broken glass.
Look ahead and anticipate traffic situations, lift off earlier instead of using the brakes. Every time you brake you are throwing away energy which got there by burning fuel from your tank.
Finally, and I hate to say this because it's a boring speed to drive at but, 56mph is speed at or below which aerodynamic drag has a small effect and above which it has an enormous effect on fuel consumption.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Truck in sig, tires at 70 rear 65 up front, do the speed limit, and drive like the guys above say= 20 MPG.

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
My truck gets easy 20mpg hand calculated . I shift before 1600 and just baby her . Stick right at 70 on the highway and ive seen up to 23mpg :butt::thumbsup

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dont know what has got into my 06 atelty but i took my superchips off and drove like grandpa all week under 60 with very little town driving and I hate to say it because no one will belive me but I am at about 29. The tank I am on right now is barely under half and I have 485 miles on it. I really think something is wrong with it since the best i have ever got before was 22-24. But I am not complaining. O and since no one will believe me anyone in the area is more then welcome to check it out.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Keep the air filter clean, change the fuel filter, tire pressure correct, and keep your foot out of it.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
'm pulling 21.7 to 23.3 on MPG but I tend to run by a different rule... Read Signature...

Then go to...
Better MPG's

And I run 2 cycle oil in my fuel...
2 Cycle Oil

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
'm pulling 21.7 to 23.3 on MPG but I tend to run by a different rule... Read Signature...

Then go to...
Better MPG's

And I run 2 cycle oil in my fuel...
2 Cycle Oil

:agree2::agree2: I tow a trailer most everyday of the week and my last 3 tanks of fuel have all averaged over 19mpg!!! I'm doing my best to follow Mikes guidelines and it seems to be working. I run a leaner mixture of 2 stroke oil than Mike does, and it is possible, even when towing a trailer, to keep the boost under 5 psi.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
Hey Dorkweed... Nice to see you back around... Stay in touch and let me know how it does if you find any other tricks that may be for 3rd Gen specific... I'll make sure I add them to the web site page...

How about making a 120 mile round trip for 5.2 gallons??? (22.8 MPG) I just did it this weekend getting supplies for around the house... :woot:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts