Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new with diesel and i just bought a 2001 quab cab short bed and auto with 78000 miles and want to get the best mpg i could, i dont pull anything, the truck it's empty everytime, i already order a edge ez and the truck has a kn filter at the box none a cone, also want to get a 5" turbo back and some 315-75-16, what alse should help me to get the top mpg?

·
Registered
97 Posts
dont get the 315's, theyre gonna kill it. but, big tires are sweet so i dont expect you to do that. intake, chip, and exhaust all help you just gotta drive it like its your grandmas cadillac. but its a cummins so how can you do that?

·
Registered
107 Posts
maybe ditch the stock injectors for a better set.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Dont exceed 62 mpg. I have been nailing 20 mpg hwy in an 02 dually that is 100% stock minus a BHAF. Imagine a chip and exhaust on my truck, 24 mpg hwy maybe?

·
Registered
107 Posts
i agree keep the speed down above 62 kills the mileage

·
Registered
107 Posts
light foot on the throttle especially getting on the freeways

·
I DONT BELIEVE IT!
1,728 Posts
I have the same truck you do just it has the h.o. and a stick . If i baby it i can get 25 plus on the highway . and thats with everythign that my sig says

·
Registered
212 Posts
Chip, air filter sound good. Don't go 5" turbo back, the bigger pipe will hurt your power and mileage unless you are already making over 500hp. Other than that, keep your foot out of it, treat that pedal like it was covered with broken glass and you have a bare foot. Also, look ahead, as soon as you see a red light, or any other obstruction up ahead, lift off the throttle. Every time you use the brakes, you are shedding energy, which got there courtesy of the diesel you burnt when accelerating previously.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Yup, 55psi in the front tires/45psi in the rear tires, <60mph keeps fuel in the tank, don't haul around extra unneeded junk.
Keep your lift pump fuel pressure up to keep full timing advance at the injector pump, a lift pump fuel pressure gauge will keep you informed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my edge ez today and i install it, i did feel more power, what size of injector will you guys recomend me to use.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Chip, air filter sound good. Don't go 5" turbo back, the bigger pipe will hurt your power and mileage unless you are already making over 500hp. Other than that, keep your foot out of it, treat that pedal like it was covered with broken glass and you have a bare foot. Also, look ahead, as soon as you see a red light, or any other obstruction up ahead, lift off the throttle. Every time you use the brakes, you are shedding energy, which got there courtesy of the diesel you burnt when accelerating previously.

not true....Ive got 5 inch turbo back and I lost no power or gas milage, just lower EGT's and great sound and my trucks stock besides my mild quad box

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will go with 5" turbo back, will like to get it stainless, where i can bought it for less?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I'm new with diesel and i just bought a 2001 quab cab short bed and auto with 78000 miles and want to get the best mpg i could, i dont pull anything, the truck it's empty everytime, i already order a edge ez and the truck has a kn filter at the box none a cone, also want to get a 5" turbo back and some 315-75-16, what alse should help me to get the top mpg?
You might want to look here...
Better MPG's

Then check signature...:thumbsup

·
Registered
287 Posts
Good info mopar man thanks for the post!!!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
I did a trip to Postfalls, ID from Lewiston, ID were I filled up at. I set my cruise for 55 MPH and never exceeded 55 MPH the whole trip even if the MAX speed limit was 75 MPH. I avoided interstates and stayed mostly to the older 2 lane highways. At a half tank a full I returned back from Postfalls, ID to Lewiston, ID... Here was my results...

21.7 MPG
17.6 Gallons of fuel consumed
17.3 Gallons of fuel remaining
385 Miles traveled
375 Miles of fuel remaining
9.4 hours of engine run time
9.3 hours of run time left
40 MPH average speed
$75.90 Total cost (at $4.299 a gallon)

Here is the pics...
mopar1973man/scanGauge II/Postfalls - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But now to prove the point and show speed is the number one factor. I did a another trip from Riggins, ID to Weiser, ID for fire truck parts and since the Fire Dept was paying my fuel I did legal speed limit the entire trip. (65 MPH cruise set)

18.6 MPG
11.7 Gallons of fuel consumed
23.3 Gallons of fuel remaining
219 Miles traveled
433 Miles of fuel remaining
4.1 hours of engine run time
8.1 hours of run time left
53 MPH average speed
$51.60 Total cost (at $4.419 a gallon)

Here is the pics of it...
mopar1973man/scanGauge II/Weiser 65 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So pyro temp are directly related to MPG as I show here... These measurements are rough and can vary...

·
Registered
316 Posts
[/COLOR]
Yeah stay away from 5 inch unless over 500hp. Go with Juice with attitude for your chip and gauges it is alittle more upfront but its well worth it and I get my best milage on stage 3 or + 80hp. My last fill up I got 19.75 mpg. That is with me getting on it a couple times. I drive the free way everyday and stay below 2grand on the tach.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Having your truck towed is the best fuel mileage you could get. Just having fun with ya.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my edge ez today and i install it, i did feel more power, what size of injector will you guys recomend me to use.
RV275's and an EZ are a proven combo for fuel mileage

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts