Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how to control your EGT?

6195 Views 21 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  tryNto
I am new to the diesel world and I have to say I will never go gas again. I need to known how to controll my EGT's when towing. Do I keep my RPMS up when pulling up a big grade or let off and down shift. sorry for the simple questions. thanks

05 5.9 delete pipe, aem cold air and quad 65 hp tow module 6 sp :confused013:
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Your 05 will run quite a bit hotter than older diesels for emissions. 1450* is said to be the continuous duty rating.

I am not sure what the Quad does for it's power so I can't say how it will effect your EGT's... I know that nothing runs as cool as a Smarty Jr.

As far as rpms I find the best power:rpm:EGT is in the 2200-2500 range, above 2500 the EGT's can really rise on the HPCR, based on emissions. But if you can maintain speed at 1900-2200 rpms let it run there.

· Registered
47 Posts
I just bought an Armstrong header from someone on this forum (waiting for it to arrive). I am interested to know if it can help me with EGT reduction. I easily get into the 1200's and have seen 1400+. My local Diesel performance guy says that these stock turbos are good for 1200 degree EGT's under continuous load, but not higher. If this header doesn't work for me, i'll be looking at adding Snow (cheap option), but then we're heading for intercooler and turbo upgrades... $$$

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I just bought an Armstrong header from someone on this forum (waiting for it to arrive). I am interested to know if it can help me with EGT reduction. I easily get into the 1200's and have seen 1400+. My local Diesel performance guy says that these stock turbos are good for 1200 degree EGT's under continuous load, but not higher. If this header doesn't work for me, i'll be looking at adding Snow (cheap option), but then we're heading for intercooler and turbo upgrades... $$$
Your local guy isn't knowledgeable on 3rd gen turbos then. Stock is 1450* continuous. Think of the thousands and thousands of bone stock trucks pulling HEAVY loads without gauges or concern for their EGT's... They are all running in the 1400's all the time and the HE351 is a very reliable turbo.

· Registered
351 Posts
How about the 03-04's? I didn't get the twins on before I left, but messing around with all the fuel mods(on SW3) I did accidentally let it spike to 1400* once and almost 1500* another time. Neither were over 1300 for more than 2 seconds. I have heard 555's are bad about dropping valve seats but I assume I didn't hurt anything by doing that? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
How about the 03-04's? I didn't get the twins on before I left, but messing around with all the fuel mods(on SW3) I did accidentally let it spike to 1400* once and almost 1500* another time. Neither were over 1300 for more than 2 seconds. I have heard 555's are bad about dropping valve seats but I assume I didn't hurt anything by doing that? Sorry not trying to hijack the thread.
They don't run near as hot as the 04.5+ and the 04.5+ has some mods to the head to handle the increased heat.

· Registered
551 Posts
I think some of us tend to give complicated answers to simple questions. To answer the original Q, Running at a higher rpm for a given speed/load will lower EGTs.
If it takes lets say, 275hp to maintain 60mph towing a trailer up a long, steep grade, Your egts will be lower (as well as auto trans temp) at 2600 rpm than at 2000 rpm. this is whats called "lugging" a diesel.
I will often down shift to 5th when pulling a heavy load up a long grade even if the truck can pull it in 6th. RPMs on a Cummins dont scare me...High EGTs do

· Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I think some of us tend to give complicated answers to simple questions. To answer the original Q, Running at a higher rpm for a given speed/load will lower EGTs.
If it takes lets say, 275hp to maintain 60mph towing a trailer up a long, steep grade, Your egts will be lower (as well as auto trans temp) at 2600 rpm than at 2000 rpm. this is whats called "lugging" a diesel.
I will often down shift to 5th when pulling a heavy load up a long grade even if the truck can pull it in 6th. RPMs on a Cummins dont scare me...High EGTs do
To a point yes, but from what I have seen on my 05 and my dads 06 when you get up around 2600+ the EGT's are much higher.. must have something to do with the 3rd event and emissions.

· Registered
551 Posts
To a point yes, but from what I have seen on my 05 and my dads 06 when you get up around 2600+ the EGT's are much higher.. must have something to do with the 3rd event and emissions.
Yes I have noticed this too.

· Registered
47 Posts
Your local guy isn't knowledgeable on 3rd gen turbos then. Stock is 1450* continuous. Think of the thousands and thousands of bone stock trucks pulling HEAVY loads without gauges or concern for their EGT's... They are all running in the 1400's all the time and the HE351 is a very reliable turbo.
This is good to know... :headbang:

· Banned
5,760 Posts
To keep your EGT's reasonable you need to keep your boost up and your fueling at a reasonable level. High EGT's come from more fuel than your turbo can use efficiently.

· Premium Member
832 Posts
wow some guys are running kinda hot...

im only seeing a little over 900 at WOT with my smarty on sw3 and the things in my sig...is this normal? seems low...

my thermocouple is at the bottom of the manifold post turbo i believe?

· Registered
365 Posts

im only seeing a little over 900 at WOT with my smarty on sw3 and the things in my sig...is this normal? seems low...

Bottom of the manifold would be pre-turbo. Are you sure you don't have it in the elbow of the turbo just before the exhaust system? If its there, then 900-1000 is about the same as 1250-1400 pre-turbo.

Perhaps someone can confirm?:confused013:

2,204 Posts

The temps will be lower when the thermocouple is mounted post turbo. Your true readings will be a couple hundred degree higher. You may want to change your sensor location to be safe and see what your truck is actually doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.