Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've searched for a post or tech article on how to perform the maintenance cleaning on the EGR system.

My 08 has around 70,000 on it. I'd like to keep the stock system intact and maintained at least until the warranty runs out. I've replaced my CCV filter on my own, and saved myself hundreds from the dealer.

Has anyone performed the cleaning service and taken pics of the process?

Thanks a ton

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey guys, I've searched for a post or tech article on how to perform the maintenance cleaning on the EGR system.

My 08 has around 70,000 on it. I'd like to keep the stock system intact and maintained at least until the warranty runs out. I've replaced my CCV filter on my own, and saved myself hundreds from the dealer.

Has anyone performed the cleaning service and taken pics of the process?

Thanks a ton
Try this: www.mmlambretta.com/dodge/perform-service-guide.pdf

When I first tackled this project on my '08 with 67,000 miles I didn't even know where the EGR valve or cooler were located. One dealer quoted me $1100-$1200 to do the cleaning. Another said $800, and another said that's covered under warranty (it's covered in some states, but not where I live). These guys are thieves and I refused to pay them for something I could (probably) do myself.

They said it would take 8.5 hours, it took me 6 hours and I'm not at all a top mechanic. They said the $1100 covered the gaskets, which they said "MUST" be replaced - they are completely reusable. They would also replace the CCV filter, my 10 year old grandson could do that, and the fuel filter which I've already changed 3 or 4 times myself.

Having a good socket set is a good idea. I used the Mopar cleaner at $28 a quart, (following directions) and and a tooth brush to get the valve clean. I disassembled mine, but I don't think you would necessarily have to take the EGR valve apart, unless it's really, really dirty. I would spray throttle body cleaner (or something similar) to clean it. It's kind of a pain and you wouldn't want to loose any of the small parts.

Since I did the cleaning and saw all the soot that was going back into my intake, I deleted the EGR valve (homebrew). See this thread:http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/6-7l-powertrain/440204-sick-dpf-but.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the perfect reply!

Wow! Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm gonna get cleanin Friday night. I'm sure I'll get around to blocking the dang thing off one day, but this truck seems to make lots of visits to the dealer for goofy stuff. I want to fly above the radar until the warranty is up.

Thanks again for your time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts