Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

how to boost the Celtane count on ULSD economically?

1943 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  pepsi71ocean
How can i boost the Celtane count of the ULSD, +2stoke oil diesel. Im currently running LSD, but im preparing for Decmeber 1st,a nd i wanted to get some sea trials of some new batches for things to see how they work.

im assuming Celtane boosters are all additives? correct?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
#1 diesel fuel and kerosene (ugh) are cetane boosters.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i though no1 diesel had a lower cetane count, im trying to figure out how to get more BTU's out of diesel.

· Registered
453 Posts
#1 diesel and kerosene have less energy thatn #2 diesel. Higher cetane rated fuels ignite more readily, but do not vaporize as easily. Once over a cetane Number of 50, from what I have read, is pretty much a waste.
Complete ignition may not occur due to the fuels igniting before complete vaporization takes place. Then the added BTU's of the higher cetane fuel go right out the tail pipe as unburned fuel.
This is what I have read researching the same subject. The info is out there as many oil companies have info readily available. Hope this helps.

· Registered
165 Posts
A blend of biodiesel should raise the cetane of fuel economically. It's ususaly in the 50's. It's my understanding diesel fuel in Europe and Mexico is over 50 cetane. That's why VW only dedicates one 4 cylinder TDI engine for the US market, so they can tweek it to run on the poorer quality fuel here and meet emission standards.

· Registered
453 Posts
Biodiesel contains less energy than #2. I believe about 10,000 btu's less per gallon. Don't quote me on the exact # but the energy is definately less.

· Registered
165 Posts
It has 7% less BTU than LSD. It may be closer to ULSD now, since I'm sure they're removing BTU as well while removing more sulfur. Ironically, that's still more BTU than a gallon of gasoline contains.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so then its a givin i'll loose MPG then?

· Registered
99 Posts
Howes Meaner Cleaner is a cetane improver and it has a 5% fuel economy gain. It is cummins recomended. I've been using this product for quite some time and can honestly say it does what it says. It increases lubricity and fuel economy. It is more economic to use that the stanadyne product. It treats more gallons per bottle. Its available at most truck stops for a reason. Hope this helps

· Registered
165 Posts
so then its a givin i'll loose MPG then?
Not necessarily. Blends of 20% or less of biodiesel fuel should result in the same MPG and power performance. Higher blends than that, may begin to impact your economy and performance.

If you look at ethanol for example, it has 50% less energy than gasoline, which automatically results in poorer economy for gasser powered vehicles.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not necessarily. Blends of 20% or less of biodiesel fuel should result in the same MPG and power performance. Higher blends than that, may begin to impact your economy and performance.

If you look at ethanol for example, it has 50% less energy than gasoline, which automatically results in poorer economy for gasser powered vehicles.
I was thinking of two fuel sets ups,

1. ULSD + 1.5oz 2 stoke oil per gallon+ Cetane Booster, MPG booster..

2. B5% Bio Diesel, plus cetane/mpg booster.

not so sure on how to work out percentages, but do you think that would be a viable solution,

DO you think B5% Bio Diesel would have enough lubrication to provide more lubrication then LSD? Or do you know roughly how much bio you would need to equal LSD?

· Registered
9 Posts
I was thinking of two fuel sets ups,

1. ULSD + 1.5oz 2 stoke oil per gallon+ Cetane Booster, MPG booster..

2. B5% Bio Diesel, plus cetane/mpg booster.

not so sure on how to work out percentages, but do you think that would be a viable solution,

DO you think B5% Bio Diesel would have enough lubrication to provide more lubrication then LSD? Or do you know roughly how much bio you would need to equal LSD?
Are you serious? 2 fuel setups, like are you gonna add another fuel tank and pump? And fill each one with your special little mix? You must be wealthy, or just really eccentric.

· Registered
273 Posts
I know a few guys with dual fuel setups...

Fill the transfer tank up with offroad diesel and run on that... stealth run all the lines and everything..

If you get dipped you'll pass cause you don't have any OR#2 in your tank

· Registered
4 Posts
I know a few guys with dual fuel setups...

Fill the transfer tank up with offroad diesel and run on that... stealth run all the lines and everything..

If you get dipped you'll pass cause you don't have any OR#2 in your tank
I know a few guys that have done that an got caught cause the dot pul;led there filter

· Registered
273 Posts
Run an AD/Fass for both systems?? I'm sure if you put enough thought into it - it would be *very* difficult to detect

· Registered
46 Posts
here in oklahoma they put red dye in it and even after 10 tank they can detect it. our highway patrol now has some sort of tail pipe swab to detect. its serious chit if you get caught here. one guy in my area (country) got caught at the sale barn and they charged him a penalty per gallon he had on site at his farm and had to write an $18,000 check or face going to jail. Now i know people embellish a bit on here from time to time, but this is 100% fact. so be very very careful if you use offroad diesel.

· Registered
5,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you serious? 2 fuel setups, like are you gonna add another fuel tank and pump? And fill each one with your special little mix? You must be wealthy, or just really eccentric.
hell no, i mean as a viable replacement for LSD. Either stick with the current plan of ULSD +2 stoke oil, or run B5 Bio Diesel instead, im not into the whole two tank thing, this truck needs to be kept in a professional manner, so everything that is done has to be up to par and code. this means no dual tank with eccentric switch and fueling systems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.