Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would not have attempted this without the help of some people. A big thanks to: Bob Wagner, gator6 & BBRam.

This is what I used for my 2003 3500 truck.

Parts needed

NV5600 + shifter
Engine adapter plate
Driveshafts
Transfer case
Trans mount (crossmember is same)
Trans & Tcase wiring harness, Wiring harness that goes across the top of the motor on the firewall (PCM)
Clutch
Flywheel
Clutch Slave + master
Clutch pedal + Pin
Interior console piece for the floor where shifter comes through
6spd dash pocket for where auto cup holders are (shifter will hit cupholders :p)
Smarty
Rear main seal(might be good to have on hand, dont wanna have to go back in there)

Overall this is a very easy swap and can be done in under a day (with the right tools and knowledge) without a doubt. Everything bolts in like it was made to. You need to cut the carpet back where the shifter comes through and there are dimples for where the shifter boot is held down. The hole that you need to cut is also very obvious with the carpet moved. The tcase does not need to be changed entirely BUT you do need the change the input shaft on it to match the new trans, so I found it easier just to buy a rebuilt unit out of a 6spd. The only wiring modification that needs to be done is wiring up the clutch start switch. You can just ground it out so the starter will turn whenever the key is turned, but I chose to wire up the switch.

The only thing I have not really looked into is the steering column. I left the auto shifter there and just cut the cable. I kind of like having the auto shifter still there as it definitely throws people off. Or, if I let someone else drive (haha) I can bring the auto shifter down out of park and the key wont come out :p I know you can just remove the shifter and than there will be a hole there, later on down the road I will remove it properly.

The electrical went so smooth because of Bob Wagner. The ecu "recovery" file that makes the truck think it is 6spd works flawlessly. Without the convenience of Bob, I may not have undertook this swap. I bought a smarty just because I was doing this and do not regret it one bit!

Email Bob Wagner and get him to make you custom recovery file for ECU to make it think it is 6spd
Remove auto trans + tcase
Cut off or remove cooler lines from heat exchanger & trans cooler
Remove trans harness and PCM (firewall) harness
Remove (cut) shifter cable
Under dash slide the clutch pedal in the pre-existing mount and insert the pin.
Run the new wiring harness
Remove flex plate and install flywheel + clutch assy
Cut hole in floor and plug shifter hole in top of transmission
Install trans
Install Tcase + driveshafts, trans mount, plug in wires etc.
Install and run new slave / master cyl. clutch assy
Choose to either ground starter relay or run a wire to the clutch master cyl to ground it
Install shifter and 6spd shift boot piece, etc

Start up truck and drive.

I personally got a Southbend 3250DD and new Southbend hydraulics. The swap cost me about 6 grand Canadian. The price was fairly high because I purchased a rebuild NV5600 + rebuilt tcase where I could have just used a used one. For some people it is probably easier & cheaper to get a built or semi-built auto; but I wanted it for heavy towing......and because some people here at home said I couldn't do it. I missed having a standard and really wanted one so to me it wasn't worth trying to find a different one.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Post reserved.

Here I am going to take some pictures of where to get and send the ground signal to the starter relay.

Reactions: Bullet1

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for all the info and look forward to pics as I am going to do this in a month or so.

·
Registered
201 Posts
very nice man, im looking into doing this swap some day as well, cant wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dude, you made my day for this thread. Im looking to do the swap but still unsure about it. I was looking around to get an idea of what needed and how to's. This might be helpful!

Props to you. Arent you supposed to add any pictures tho? :p

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was always curious about this. Glad to see someone stuck it out and went through with it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry guys. Been working lots of 12 and 14's lately. I'll get on that asap. Just had to drop the trans to do the clutch again. Got a defective southbend. Don't let that steer you away from their product though, they were aware of the problem, had already updated their clutches and sent me a new one free of chrage!! A++++ on their part

The only tricky part to the swap is wiring up the clutch switch properly. Only took 2-2.5 hours to change the clutch and be back on the road. 6 spd with the exhaust brake is amazing!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Could you get some pictures of the in-cab too please? I'd like to see what it looks like!

And how's the "fitting"? I mean, isnt the hole cut for the shifter a nice spot for the rust ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Little bit of paint and it's just as good as new! I'll get some interior pics up for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bumpty Dumpty! Still looking for pics of the results! :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thank you for this post, I think you just made up my mind for me :)

Throw some of the pics up when you get a chance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys... I suck. I'll admit it. Sorry for taking so long to get pics up of the install. Only inside ones for now. If anyone needs anything else plz let me know.

One other thing to note is the 6 spd trucks have a smaller brake pedal. Auto one works, it's just slightly bigger. I'm also waiting for the proper shifter boot and tcase linkage. 6spd is awesome.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for the pics! And theres something I wanted to know, my truck has the eletronic T-Case. Can I still do the 6 spd swap and what would I have to do?

Thank you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just get the trans harness that is for elec tcase instead of manual shift. After smarty reprogram, everything is mint. Just helped a buddy do his 98 ram auto-> 5spd. Smarty made it painless. I urged him to use a 6spd but he had a 5 spd sitting around.

Reactions: Maesen

·
Registered
143 Posts
Awesome, thanks for your answer/pics!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do I really have to run a new wiring harness? Or just jump the neutral safety switch?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally I found it easier just to run a new harness so I dont have a bunch of extra un-used connectors hanging around by the tranny.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Where can I find the harness?
Also, if I don't use another harness, what wires can I ground to bypass the switch to start the truck?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Used? Autowrecker??

I'll tell you what pin to ground tomorrow, just need to take the harness apart and look.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts