Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I did use the search function a couple times and couldn't find anything on my problem.

Some time ago, my tailgate started opening on its own and slamming when coming to a stop (of course this is while driving). I have tried several times to adjust the torx screws or posts that the two latches are supposed to close on without success. Tonight I tried for an hour in 20° weather and got pi$$ed!

So what's the secret to adjusting these posts? Seems like I've tried every possible position they could be in individually and can't figure it out. The latches just won't close all the way and lock onto the posts.

Help!

Craig

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
1st are the latches in the tailgate moving freely.
Give 'em a squirt of wd-40.
Any junk (rocks, dirt, etc) jambed in the latches on the gate.
I've seen this happen before.
Ther is only so much adjustment in the striker, loosen the stricker and move it/them to the rear of the truck as far as possible gradually re-adjusting them forward to ther point where it still latches.
I kind of doubt that BOTH sides are out of adjustment. Both need to unlatched for the gate to open.
would be more likely the mechanism in the gate isn't moving freely.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Tried the latch adjustments/lubrication. Nothing in there either.

Must be time to pull the access panel and look at the cables...

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem Solved!

So I pulled the access cover off the inside of the tailgate to expose the linkage that moves when the handle is operated. This linkage rotates and is supposed to return to closed position after opening the tailgate with the handle via a spring. For whatever reason, the linkage was not returning all the way to closed, keeping the two outer latches from closing on the posts. I lubed everything and it still wouldn't return unassisted so I took a rubber bungie and installed it inside the tailgate as a helper and it worked perfectly. Reinstalled the access cover and it's perfect.

All along I thought it was in the adjustment of the two posts and how the latches came into contact with them...

Finally my tailgate stays closed like it's supposed to. :party018:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
So I pulled the access cover off the inside of the tailgate to expose the linkage that moves when the handle is operated. This linkage rotates and is supposed to return to closed position after opening the tailgate with the handle via a spring. For whatever reason, the linkage was not returning all the way to closed, keeping the two outer latches from closing on the posts. I lubed everything and it still wouldn't return unassisted so I took a rubber bungie and installed it inside the tailgate as a helper and it worked perfectly. Reinstalled the access cover and it's perfect.

All along I thought it was in the adjustment of the two posts and how the latches came into contact with them...

Finally my tailgate stays closed like it's supposed to. :party018:
good deal.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The bungee will stretch over time, and being rubber, it will dry-rot and break soon enough. Just keep an eye on it :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bungee will stretch over time, and being rubber, it will dry-rot and break soon enough. Just keep an eye on it :thumbsup:
Copy that. I will probably just buy a new spring or make something more permanent but I'm just glad the gate won't be slamming open driving down the road. Happened on a busy highway a while back with a bed full of coolers and gear. Couldn't get stopped fast enough. :doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.