Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
same as drum brakes, rubber plug that has to be pulled out of the backing plate, its hard to see, and might be covered with mud. then insert adjusting tool/screwdriver and turn star wheel. it is a hat designed rotor with internal expanding brake shoes inside the drum.

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Any way to adjust on a 99?

·
cumminsforum.com
26,302 Posts

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Adjust your rear brake shoes...
That is classic! I needed that laugh! That’s like when you go to the doctor and you tell him that it hurts when i do "this". The doctor responds with. "well stop doing that".

I'm obviously easily amused.
:hehe:

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
What is the cable adjustment for? I have it most of the way to the end of the threads on the cable adjustment.
Adjust your shoes first. Once they are set properly your ebrake should start working. If not, then, and only then do you adjust the cable.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
The cable adjustment is only a "slack" adjustment.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Just go ahead and adjust the shoes and see what you have at that point. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Book says to adjust both sides the same and then drive in reverse and apply brakes until you come to a full stop, however, you must come to a full stop or this will not work.

Doing this you use the automatic adjuster to adjust the shoes, and thus the e-brake.

Not sure if it will work on these trucks, but, on a Toyota Tacoma you set the brake and release it until it is as tight as it will get.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
On my '02 with disk brakes on back. I am not sure how you are supposed to adjust these, thanks.
Any way to adjust on a 99?
Adjust your rear brake shoes...
I think I got them all!

#1. adjust the rear brake shoes! This applies to drum and disk rear brakes, the pre-01.5's should be self adjusting, but you need to back up and apply brakes firmly, this needs to be done several times. Just easier to adjust by hand.

#2. Now see if the cable needs adjustment, you will be surprised.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts