Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay Ive searched and was trying to figure what can i possibly do to have quicker spool out of my single. i looked at spool aid kits and saw were everyone claims it isn't worth the money, that it isn't much of a change. i also looked at spool valves but everything i read said it only works with second gen swaps. i wont twins but will not do that until next year and i know nothing spools like twins, im also going to buy a mild pump from Todd here soon. currently i see it building boost while normal driving at about 1400 rpm(off top of my head) if not mistaken. its awesome spool off the line on a small launch but when driving about 60mph i can roll into it and it just doesn't do much. it feels sluggish until like 68-70 and then all of a sudden it lights and hits 42psi and hold on! are my options slim to none? should i stick studs in and open my WG to open at higher boost? its currently at 42 pounds.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
okay Ive searched and was trying to figure what can i possibly do to have quicker spool out of my single. i looked at spool aid kits and saw were everyone claims it isn't worth the money, that it isn't much of a change. i also looked at spool valves but everything i read said it only works with second gen swaps. i wont twins but will not do that until next year and i know nothing spools like twins, im also going to buy a mild pump from Todd here soon. currently i see it building boost while normal driving at about 1400 rpm(off top of my head) if not mistaken. its awesome spool off the line on a small launch but when driving about 60mph i can roll into it and it just doesn't do much. it feels sluggish until like 68-70 and then all of a sudden it lights and hits 42psi and hold on! are my options slim to none? should i stick studs in and open my WG to open at higher boost? its currently at 42 pounds.
Wait 68 to 70 mph? At wot that's when your converter locks. Do that's probably what you are feeling.

What turbo do you have now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Your 37's aren't helping, especially if you have 3.73's. check for a boost leak but I think your best bet is to get UDC tuning.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
what tuning are you using? Sounds like you need a bit more timing. The 37's and lift aren't helping but you should spool that turbo pretty well. I also agree with Forest about the converter being a bad match.

If all else fails a small nitrous kit will spool it no problem...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't seen any boost leaks yet. Not sure what stall the torque converter has but I'm thinking about a 1800 stall. Smarty is set on sw7 rp4. I'll have to get a video later today. I think I have one already from a small take off, I'll try and find that one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,105 Posts
The spool aid does help but its a sore subject on a couple diesel forums. Back when it was "brought to the public attention" the results were there and the guy running one had an S475 and did a before/after comparison. He loved it. His user name was torqueslut.. the old threads back in 2009/2010 have been deleted by mods and some just locked out.

Also noticed you didn't have a modified cp3 with those 100hp injector. That could be an issue if your running an aggressive tune. FYI~ don't waste your money on an arson kit, a couple guys on here ran it on their 03/04 with 100hp sticks and didn't help it, go with a new modded pump.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
You should seriously check into UDC. I cannot even begin to describe the difference. I have alot of the mods suggested. Nothing has done for my motor and spool up what UDC has done. I had the SSR and the difference between just the SSR and UDC is not even comparable. I never realized how much the tuning effected everything. Itsa completely different truck!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[QUOTE Also noticed you didn't have a modified cp3 with those 100hp injector. That could be an issue if your running an aggressive tune. FYI~ don't waste your money on an arson kit, a couple guys on here ran it on their 03/04 with 100hp sticks and didn't help it, go with a new modded pump.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm not going with Any of that I'm gonna buy a mild pump from Todd first but I think I might try a second gen swap and spool valve

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
The 2nd gen exhaust manifold and spool valve is going to help but I still don't think it's going to get you the results you are looking for. I honestly think running the normal Revo or TNT tunes on you smarty is a major part of the problem. I'd recommend looking into tuning your setup with UDC.

I swapped to a 2nd gen manifold and spool valve back when only SSR was out. It made a pretty noticeable difference, but still nothing compared to the tuning. Since UDC has come out and I'm actually able to custom tune my particular setup properly, I am far less reliant on the spool valve. The tuning is what makes the biggest difference.

The ON/OFF switch power feeling you are experiencing now at cruise speeds is very common with the standard Smarty tunes.

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
[QUOTE Also noticed you didn't have a modified cp3 with those 100hp injector. That could be an issue if your running an aggressive tune. FYI~ don't waste your money on an arson kit, a couple guys on here ran it on their 03/04 with 100hp sticks and didn't help it, go with a new modded pump.
Yeah I'm not going with Any of that I'm gonna buy a mild pump from Todd first but I think I might try a second gen swap and spool valve[/QUOTE]

I'd definitely put the CP3 upgrade at the top of the list. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts