Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting question came up around the water cooler today; how old is too old when looking at buying tires. Assuming "new" (or used with acceptable tread depth), do tires age well or poorly? I work with a bunch of engineers so the conversation naturally derailed into nonsense but there were some good points made on both sides. With the sky high prices on everything now, and scarce availability of anything new, how old would the manufacture date a tire have to be for you to pass? Is it possible for current tire inventory at your local tires store be 2-3 years old? When does it matter? Just curious what everyone thought.

·
White Lightning
13,347 Posts
Most tire manufactures build various sizes periodically throughout the year, as it’s almost impossible to produce all of the sizes all of the time.

With that being said....when one factors in a build run, transportation, and warehousing of tires, I’d imagine that most new tires won’t be much over 3 or 4 months old when they reach the end user.

To answer your question.....unless it was some kind of specialty tire, I probably would not want to buy “new” tires that were much over 6 months old or so.

As to used tires......I probably would not buy anything over 2.5 years old. I believe the TRMA suggests to ditch’em around five years old or so.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting points, it would be neat to see a production schedule for a major tire manufacturer. As far as dates, I've admittedly never looked at the dates when buying "new" tires, I suppose going forward it wouldn't hurt.

·
White Lightning
13,347 Posts
I worked retail counter sales at an S&S Tire in Lexington, KY for several years.

The date codes are fairly easy to find on unmounted tires, and you have a 50/50 chance of seeing them easily on mounted tires.

Reactions: gerlbaum

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I suppose it depends on the tire, uv exposure, and how well they we taking care of. Considering my truck has regroovable tires I would imagine they are made to last some time.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even garage keep tires go bad after a few years.
I suppose that's true, especailly of crap trailer tires. I would imagine though car/truck tires that are stored relatively well would still last a while. Never can tell I guess, maybe severe weather checking/cracks in the tread grooves or sidewall would be the only way to tell?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Out here in AZ even well cared for tires are dead after ~6 years and that assumes there isn’t a blowout or tread separation. The heat just kills them. It’s going to be 116+ every day next week.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I bought used wheels and tires a few months back dated in 2011....plenty of tread, some dry rot, and man could i burn those babies loose in the rain...they were hard like an old pencil eraser. :)

They were used for a few years and then stored on a shelf in the back of a shop.

Reactions: IH8CALI

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out here in AZ even well cared for tires are dead after ~6 years and that assumes there isn’t a blowout or tread separation. The heat just kills them. It’s going to be 116+ every day next week.
I have family out in Claypool, we only visit in January-March 😁

I bought used wheels and tires a few months back dated in 2011....plenty of tread, some dry rot, and man could i burn those babies loose in the rain...they were hard like an old pencil eraser.
Well i'll tell you what, pricing a set of new tires today and used ones are looking pretty damn tempting, regardless of age.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah, I hope to never buy 'new' truck tires again. Estimated $300-$350 a tire for new vs. $350 a SET of 4 which still have 1/2 life left. No brainer.

As a matter of fact, I just replaced those 2011 tires I mentioned with a full set of wheels AND brand new tires for $600 off the Marketplace...

...just need some center caps for the front. :)

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pricing tires for the power wagon at Discount Tire, Cooper STT Pros, $1534.39. That's with certificates and military discount.

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,686 Posts
Buy your tires online and have a local independant shop mount them. I just put a set of 255/80r17 Toyo AT3's on my 07. Cost me $807 for the 4 tires, shipped to my address, plus the cost of a mechanic friend with tire machines to mount them.

·
White Lightning
13,347 Posts
Reactions: IH8CALI

·
Registered
19,126 Posts
No brainer.

As a matter of fact, I just replaced those 2011 tires I mentioned with a full set of wheels AND brand new tires for $600 off the Marketplace...
Just having replaced 10-year old tires could indeed qualify as a no brainer, I think.

Yes, I have many tires that are older than that and are still in use, but they don't see speed, or public roads.

Reactions: Bedlam

·
Registered
501 Posts
Even garage keep tires go bad after a few years.
I know people who keep their summer cars on jack stands off season just hoping to save the tires a little bit longer.

·
Registered
19,126 Posts
I know people who keep their summer cars on jack stands off season just hoping to save the tires a little bit longer.
That can help prevent flat spotting, but unless those tires are also deflated it won't do anything for longevity.

·
White Lightning
13,347 Posts
That can help prevent flat spotting, but unless those tires are also deflated it won't do anything for longevity.
Is deflating the equivalent of deleting the air pressure? :unsure:

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
'18 G56 CCSB
175 Posts
the age of new tires depends on the demand of that particular model & size.
last set of performance tires i bought for my car (which occasionally sees track time) came in at 4-5yrs old off the shelf three times (kept sending them back). i ended up buying a different set of tires that were just under a year old. with the last set on mine & my wife's trucks, they were all just a few months old because they were common sizes & models.

age makes a difference because, as mentioned earlier, the rubber hardens, cracks, breaks down, etc. with the weather regardless of use/mileage. for a regular vehicle, i'd be fine with a year or two old on new tires, but with my car, a year was the oldest i was willing to go because as the compound weakens, there goes their usefulness under power (and why most tech inspections won't let you on a track if the tires are >5yrs), meaning i'll have to replace them a year sooner.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Cooper® recommends that all passenger and light truck tires, including full-size spare tires, that are beyond 10 years from their date of manufacture, be replaced with new tires. Tires that are 10 or more years old should be replaced even if the tires appear to be undamaged and have not reached their tread wear limits.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts