Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a newbie, the manual says drain water from fuel pump every time you fill up. Somewhere else I read, do it every morning.But, "experts" tell me. don't do it. What are your opinions? Thanks. (This is 1999 24V, 2nd.Gen, stock lift pump)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I did it every oil change or more. I know some people that do it every fill up. I think its a little overkill. Not for sure really though, just what I do.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Do it on the off chance the light comes on or it starts acting funny?

That's what I do, anyways...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
we change our fuel filter when it has a drop of about 4 psi and drain the filter at that time usually about every 70,000 to 100,000 miles our 91 will have 900,000 on it by the end of the year

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
I buy fuel from high volume stations and never when there is a tank truck present (to stir up the storage tank). I used to drain nearly every fill up but I hardly ever get a drop of water out of mine when I drain the coalescer screen on the FASS or the stock filter bowl. I collect the drained fuel in a jar and look for water. I have never had the WIF light come on (except for the test when I first turn on the ignition). Now I drain much less regulary. Since I have a fuel pressure gauge I stretch the filter change interval considerably. I would set the water draining interval based on how much water you manage to drain out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts